time to face facts

Frank Fusco

Recently I joked that my tablesaw only weighs three pounds. It wasn't a huge exaggeration. My Delta 36-540 is truly a lightweight.
Yesterday I tried ripping some maple slabs 2 12" thick. It just plain wouldn't do the job and even tripped the overload switch. Plus the whole unit was moving backwards as I tried to feed. It is truly a puny, underpowered lightweight.
It cost $89.00 new about ten years ago. Probably worth every penny.
I'll be in the market for something else. First have to decide how to pay for a replacement. If I sell the Terrco duplicator, that will do it.
I will probably watch the auctions and estate sales first. But, one rarely sees any major tools of quality at those. Usually Craftsmen. Never know though.

Edit: can't edit title, should be face facts

Attachments

• tablesaw.jpg
    tablesaw.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Take heart Frank. I purchased my Jet cabinet saw at an auction - less than a year old for half the retail price. Sadly, lots of businesses are going under. Mine came from a shop that made shutters. You might get lucky!

here you go, Frank:

g0478.jpg

Oh, and I fixed your title, too... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for title change, Bill
Me! Buy Chinese stuff??? ;):rofl:
It will be one under consideration.
Actually, I learned there is a stocking Jet dealer in Springfield, MO also. In fairness to myself, I'll check it out.
But, first, gotta sell the Terrco.

Hi Frank

I will tell you what I told Stu when he was looking at a Uni Saw. Go for the Saw Stop. Think of what price a digit on those hands of yours are worth and then think that there is a solution to prevent you from losing one. I cannot see why anyone buying a new TS today would look at any other saw. For me its safety first. And now they make contractor versions as well.

P.S. I have absolutely no affiliation to these Saw Stop guys at all. I just think its one of our most dangerous devices in the shop and when you can get a safety device like this to me its priceless.

You do know that this and almost all Grizzly table saws are made in Taiwan, right?

You also know that Jet's are made there, too, right? :D

Just FYI :)

Jason, that was a major joke. I am almost known as the Grizzly kid. Most of my large tools are Grizzly. The store in Springfield, MO is only a couple hours from my home.
BTW, they have moved operations to mainland China in the past two years. And, yes, I do know Jets come out of the same factory as Griz.

I use an old Craftsman table saw that someone GAVE me. The motor was gone and I replaced it with a 2HP motor I bought off eBay (about $120 shipped). I've used that saw for many years now and have no complaints - it's accurate and powerful enough for me. I did add a Biesmeyer fence after a year or so, mainly because it was easier to use than the stock fence.

One day I'll buy a cabinet saw but I'm sure okay for now. When I do, I'll buy it without a fence and put my Biesemeyer on it.

Mike

I use an old Craftsman table saw that someone GAVE me. The motor was gone and I replaced it with a 2HP motor I bought off eBay (about $120 shipped). I've used that saw for many years now and have no complaints - it's accurate and powerful enough for me. I did add a Biesmeyer fence after a year or so, mainly because it was easier to use than the stock fence.

One day I'll buy a cabinet saw but I'm sure okay for now. When I do, I'll buy it without a fence and put my Biesemeyer on it.

Mike
Mike, your work is a great example of the idea that it's not so much the tools, but the person using them. ;) :thumb:

Hi Frank

I will tell you what I told Stu when he was looking at a Uni Saw. Go for the Saw Stop. Think of what price a digit on those hands of yours are worth and then think that there is a solution to prevent you from losing one. I cannot see why anyone buying a new TS today would look at any other saw. For me its safety first. And now they make contractor versions as well.

P.S. I have absolutely no affiliation to these Saw Stop guys at all. I just think its one of our most dangerous devices in the shop and when you can get a safety device like this to me its priceless.

Cannot dispute a word you said. But, unfortunately, my budget will be about $4,000.00 shy of what a Saw Stop costs.
Like you, I am very fearful of tablesaws.

If this usage is not an everyday thing for you, would an EZ Smart and maybe a 10" Makita circular saw do the trick? Might end up costing the same as a new TS, but you'd have some extra versatility to your tool collection. I don't think an 8 1/2" circ saw would have the size to go through 2 1/2", but would be much cheaper.

Just a thought, more than one way to skin the proverbial cat and all.

Recently I joked that my tablesaw only weighs three pounds. It wasn't a huge exaggeration. My Delta 36-540 is truly a lightweight.
Yesterday I tried ripping some maple slabs 2 12" thick. It just plain wouldn't do the job and even tripped the overload switch. Plus the whole unit was moving backwards as I tried to feed. It is truly a puny, underpowered lightweight.
It cost $89.00 new about ten years ago. Probably worth every penny.
I'll be in the market for something else. First have to decide how to pay for a replacement. If I sell the Terrco duplicator, that will do it.
I will probably watch the auctions and estate sales first. But, one rarely sees any major tools of quality at those. Usually Craftsmen. Never know though.

Edit: can't edit title, should be face facts

Hi Frank.

Just out of curiosity, how many watt power your saw has? I've seen similar models here and I was thinking about getting one but I'd like to know if it will do the job.

The ones that are selling here (not delta) are also 254mm diameter blade and 1800 Watt . They cost about 230$

Thanks in advance

Hi Frank.

Just out of curiosity, how many watt power your saw has? I've seen similar models here and I was thinking about getting one but I'd like to know if it will do the job.

The ones that are selling here (not delta) are also 254mm diameter blade and 1800 Watt . They cost about 230$

Thanks in advance

Toni, I can't locate watts for this. It does say V120; A13; PH1

I don't know what the PH means. I looked up the owners manual on-line and the information isn't provided there either.