time to face facts

watts = volts x amps = 120 V x 13 A = 1560 W

That's what I learned in physics class. How or if this applies directly to woodworking machinery labels I am not sure.
It works out to about 2 HP, but considering the saw in question (with a direct-drive universal motor) I'd suspect that 2 HP is a peak value, not the running HP. I think Frank has simply reached the limits of what that motor can do.

It works out to about 2 HP, but considering the saw in question (with a direct-drive universal motor) I'd suspect that 2 HP is a peak value, not the running HP. I think Frank has simply reached the limits of what that motor can do.

My limits too. I finished the cutting with a Neanderthal style handsaw. (recently sharpened) Thet thar hard maple just didn't want to be cut. Worked up a sweat fer sure. Stuff turned real nice though.
BTW, is anyone trys to tell you Arkansas doesn't have hard maple, don't believe them. ;)

Frank,
I would think, if you can wait, that you'd be able to find some pretty good used stuff after the holidays. Some people will be cleaning out the basement, or needing to get rid of the old saw to make room for the new one they got. I'd check your local / nearby Craigslist. I see them all the time. A used contractor style saw will likely be your best value. It's a very solid design - really a standard for the past 60 years. It's now becoming a bit old fashioned as hybrid saws give better dust collection in a smaller footprint.
If i were looking for a good table saw on a limited budget and had time to be patient, i'd look for a good 10" contractor saw with cast iron wings, left tilt (personal preference) and a high quality fence. The rest would be negotiable, assuming no major damage. Bearings are easily replaced - so is the motor. It's all worth it to me if the price is right.
I've been using my contractor saw for several years now. The dust collection isn't ideal, but i've got it going pretty good. The saw is accurate, and the fence (biese) is a relative joy to use - solid, accurate, and easy to adjust.
The old Craftsman saws are plentiful and a dime a dozen.
Link belts and balanced pulleys and cast iron wings kill just about all of the vibration in belt drive saws. A zero clearance insert improves safety and dust collection. A high quality blade makes life better, and a mobile base adds versatility. Also, a PALS alignment kit (about $20) takes the frustration, required alcohol, and prolific swearing out of the blade / slot adjustment.
Good luck with your hunt. Let us know how it goes.
Paul Hubbman

Paul, all good tips. Thanks. My dust collection system is a broom and pan so that isn't a big factor for me.
There are many old Craftsmen tools for sale around here constantly. Being a retirement community we see a lot of that. The smaller stuff usually goes out of state with the deceased family. But table saws and such goes to the auction house. Problem is it is hard to tell condition. Buying one of those is a real pig in a poke situation.
When ready, I will check Craigslist and the classifieds in both Little Rock, AR and Springfield, MO as I live about half way between the two.
Wanna buy a Terrco?