My First $300 Pen

Jon Lanier

Elvis is back in the building. This is a commissioned piece for a die hard Elvis fan. It is a Jr Emperor with Alt Ivory blanks. I put the photo work together and sheet music (Can't Stop Falling In Love) together and Ken Nelson did my engraving. Along the bottom of the pen is an exact replica of Elvis' Signature.

I couldn't decide what photo's I liked... Black velvet background or the white. So I'm putting up several photo's.

Attachments

• Elvis Pen 1.jpg
    Elvis Pen 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Elvis Pen 2.jpg
    Elvis Pen 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Elvis Pen 4.jpg
    Elvis Pen 4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Elvis Pen 6.jpg
    Elvis Pen 6.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Elvis Pen 8.jpg
    Elvis Pen 8.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Elvis Pen 9.jpg
    Elvis Pen 9.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 54
Wow! for the pen and two Wows! more for the box. I like the idea of the partiture engraved as if it was the lid of the eliptic hole.

I'm sure that this project will bring you more comissions.

May I ask you a question? Who put the price you or the customer? I mean you somewhat calculated the hours spent and multiplied by a given amount or the customer said something like: "I'm ready to pay up to 300$"

In other words, do you consider it a fair price for it??

Jon you are TCB! Very Nice! :thumb:

I spent many late nights working "behind the scenes" at Graceland with a previous job installing hardware and software. I didn't really know much at all about Elvis before that, but after taking all the tours at Gracland about 3 times I truely do believe he was the greatest ever!

Nice pen. :thumb: Now a question from the cynic...:eek:

Isn't there some kind of legal reason why you shouldn't have used Elvis' likeness... or his signature? Seems like that would be a no-no.

Nice pen. :thumb: Now a question from the cynic...:eek:

Isn't there some kind of legal reason why you shouldn't have used Elvis' likeness... or his signature? Seems like that would be a no-no.

I was able to get public domain pictures/art work and then sent them on to the engraver after the pen blanks were turned. I belong to several photo services for a small yearly fee and can use/reproduce public domain photo's and clipart... etc. Much learning from doing Scrollsaw patterns.