tried a couple birdhouses

Frank Fusco

My first mini-birdhouses. Both made with walnut and Osage Orange.
Will make changes on style and proportion from now on. The roof on one on left is too heavy and clunky for my liking. Did have trouble putting a delicate shape on peak of both. I believe I will foregoe the hole and string method of hanging and use brass eye screws from now on. Also will use a perch from now on also. No birds on these. Will buy some from hobby store when I get to a big city next time I take the mule out for a ride.

Attachments

• birdhouses.jpg
    birdhouses.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 63
I like them Frank. One comment could be that your finials might want to be a little slimmer too. The roofs don't look that bad. Nice idea taking the photo in front of pegboard. That gives us a sense of scale. I made a Christmas ornament once and used a loop of fishing line to hang it. Just drilled the hole on top, stuck the line in and dropped some CA glue in and done. I gave it away long ago so no picture (must be it never happened?)

Anyone ever tried just placing the bird in the hole looking out instead of on a perch? Would that look good?

I gotta try some of these bird houses too. Hobby/craft store, birds, hmmm. I'll be near my local Ben Franklin store Thursday. I better stop in.

Thanks Frank. Keep up the good work.

Aloha, Tony

Those are looking good Frank, I agree with Tony that slimer finials would improve their appearance but they don't disturb me as they are now.

Did you plan them, or just tossed a piece on the lathe and worked out the shape directly?

Nice job, Frank. I agree with Jeff on the contrast comment, too. The osage and walnut are a good combination. :thumb: