Just a Small Project

Wes Bischel

I was asked to help out on a small project at Church. I said "sure" before I got the details.:doh: The "small" project turned out to be 3' tall by 20' long "welcome" sign.:eek: And as usual "While we're at it why don't we . . . ." cropped up a number of times.:rolleyes: I ended up designing and building a literature display as an add-on project to the sign. Anyhow, I got the "small" part done about a month ago - the add-on project I got installed today.

The welcome sign was already started - I was asked to jump-in when they couldn't figure out how to "put it up".
Sketch-up image of the concept.
welcome sign in situ sm.jpg

Finished piece. Two sheets of acrylic with the pictures in-between. The stand-offs are aluminum, commercially available.
Gathering Room after 2.jpg

I was asked to do something to make the literature more accessible and inviting. This is what I came up with.
literature display in situ 1.jpgliterature display exploded dwg 2.jpg

It's made from MDF textured acrylic and stand-offs which visually tie it with the sign.
Gathering Room after 4.jpg
The sign got things going - next thing anyone knew, the whole room was redone!:eek::D
Oh, this was the before picture.
Gathering Room Before 2.jpg
Now, about those Christmas presents that need to get made.:rofl::rofl:

Wes

Nice work on the "little" project. I'm guessing they talked someone else into doing the hardwood flooring? (If so, thank goodness for little blessings, huh?):p

Nice work on the "little" project. I'm guessing they talked someone else into doing the hardwood flooring? (If so, thank goodness for little blessings, huh?):p
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BIG blessing! :D:thumb: The guys that did the flooring were pro's. I think it was a case of either not knowing how to install it, or having installed it and knowing better!:rofl:

It was interesting to watch the process. It started with the welcome sign. Then, "Well, before we put it up we should paint the walls." next was, "If we paint we'll want to update the colors - which means we should probably replace the carpet since it's looking a bit shabby." Next thing I knew, the whole room was redone!

Wes