My Shop in progress

Gary Lange

New here and thought I would give some pictures of my shop which is a work in progress. It is 11' X 18' in the main room with a side room of 8' X 8' and the hall coming in is 4' X 10' The floor is raised and has the electric in the floor. It is 3/4" tongue and grove plywood and topped with 1" X 12 No. 2 Pine. I have a table saw extension on now that doesn't show in the pictures.
WorkshopRadialArmandJigsaw-1.jpg

DrillPressCabinet-1.jpg

Workshopwallcabinet-1.jpg

Welcome aboard, Gary. Looks like a great start to a shop. :thumb: (Far too clean though, but I expect that'll change somewhat over time.) I think you may have the fanciest radial arm saw base I've seen yet. :D

Looks like a great space and a great start. Did I have wallspace once upon a time . . . ? It seems like I must have ;-) Glad to have you, enjoy the fun!

Looks great Gary - and don't let anyone here give you a hard time about it being clean! :rofl::rofl: A clean shop is a safe shop.:D Really like the floors.:thumb:

I am trying to keep it clean as can be and the pictures were taken shortly after I finished the Drill Press Cabinet and moved the Jig Saw into the main room and the Drill Press into the side room. I get a lot of good feedback on the floor from other sites also. I wanted something sturdy and to look good to. Thanks for all the good comments it has been a long time coming since until I retired I had no place to build a shop. Still have things to do but I think the next will be a Dust Collector. I am working on a small Phil Thien Cyclone Separator to work in conjunction with my shop vac. I will post some pictures and let everyone know how it works when I get it done. This seems to be a very good site with some talented people.

Gary, Welcome to the Family. :wave:

Thanks for posting pics of your shop...my aunt and uncle live in Nixa. I've never been there to visit, but my parents have and told me it's real pretty country!

Lookin' good. :thumb: Probably warm too, which I would appreciate about now.
No spinny thing? :eek:
A used (dirty) shop is a loved shop. BTW, Rennie's shop is so safe, he doesn't have any blades or electricity in it. :rofl:

Gary,
Great start on the shop. It looks like you're doing it right from the start.

FWIW, concerning the walls, the only suggestion I can make is put up french cleats. I wish I knew what they were before I got going on my shop.:rolleyes: Now I'm going to undo some things so I can put them up and do it right the second time.:doh:

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I look forward to your separator as well.

Wes

The cabinet is hung on a French Cleat Wes. That is a good idea as then you can move things around and hang many different things on the walls. I saw a tool wall done that way and it was pretty neat.

Your Wood Floor Look Terrific

Gary,

I may have missed it in one of your posts, but can you elaborate on your wood floors? What kind of planks are those and what is the substrate. Do you have sleepers on the concrete floor? Are the sleepers fastened. It really looks great.

Thank You,

Eric

Eric, I first laid down the treated 2"X4" lumber on edge on the floor floating inside the walls. I figured it wasn't going anywhere so why try to fasten it down. I then laid down 3/4" tongue and grove a guess it is a waffer board of some type and finished with the 1"X12" number 2 pine boards. I bought the boards in twelve foot lengths so I could lay them without butting any ends and have a stronger surface. I finished with 1"X4" boards around the edge as baseboards. I sealed the surface with Cabot Clear Solution deck sealer. It came out pretty good. It has some gaps from the lumber not being perfectly straight but for the shop floor it was fine. Thanks for the complements I worked pretty hard on it. The boards are screwed down with eight screws per board in the main shop area and in the side area and six per board in the hall. I did all the screws with a Ryobi 18v Drill/Driver with a new Lithium Ion Battery. It put all of them down except the last three which I thought was fantastic. I mean that is about 315 screws set with one charge and not pre-drilling.

Regarding the walls, I put up one 4' by 8' sheet of pegboard and was starting to get excited by pegboard and thinking to buy more when a friend suggested I hold off until I filled up the first sheet. That first sheet is just about full and I've realized I need more shelves / cabinets much more than I need more pegboard.

I don't regret in the least bit the pegboard, but one sheet is enough for my one-car garage sized shop.

Your tool bases do look almost too pretty to use!

Oh, Gary, if you don't already have one, I am very happy with my Ryobi ONE+ impact driver. Much nicer than a drill/driver for construction type projects but maybe too powerful for fine woodworking.

Last edited:
Mark I am thinking about putting up some Pegboard on the wall to hang tools on. I think it would work out real well and makes things handy for use. I have been looking at the Impact Driver from Ryobi and like it real well. Like I said before for the money Ryobi works hard and does a great job.

Shop

Good start to a good looking shop, I see you like the grizzly products, how do you like your table saw, what model is it? If you don't mind me asking, I am doing research on table saws. I'm caught between cost issue and quality, and eletric issue in basement shop that I'm trying to setup as well. My brother purchased a grizzly 8" jointer and has had it for about 18 years now it still works like new, never had any problems. Well any suggestions would be great !!!!!! Just re-beginning in my hobby of wood working. In answer to your ? about peg board , I've always heard to save wall space for a wall system for lumber.
Later, db

Last edited: