Early Goodbye to Greg Cook

Bill Satko

Greg,

I don't know when you are going to be pulling the plug on your computer, so I did not want to miss the opportunity to say goodbye. Wish I had an opportunity of meeting you in person.

How long do you believe it will take before you get settled enough in Japan to be able to post?

Have a safe trip!:wave:

well bill he wasnt to far from you at one time:) and i think he will come back, he likes to fish the steel head and i dont think they have any over there,, but just for the record thanks for the chance to have meet you when you were here greg! and have a safe and enjoyble trip over there,,:thumb: happy holidays

Bill,

Thanks much for the thoughts... I leave early Tuesday morning. The moving company came yesterday..thank goodness, 'cause today we have about 4" of snow on the ground today. We have a final "moving sale" on Sat and then the final pickup on Monday. I have been jumping through hoops to get all the documents certified by the USDA to get my dogs into Japan without having to go into quarantine. They are in Olympia...4-6" of snow there, so they are short staffed.

I have to take the dogs in approved shipping crates, the small one strapped on top the big one, through the Seattle airport and then on to Narita outside Tokyo. Pick them up at baggage claim, strap them together again and off to Animal Control. Get paperwork approved, and cleared, then off to customs for me...then out of the airport to a pet hotel for the night...I'll stay at the Hilton...:rofl:

Next morning, pick up the dogs and take them in a special Dog taxi for the long drive to Haneda airport (domestic air from Tokyo to Osaka). From Osaka airport, dog taxi again...drop off Tommy at a kennel and take Duskin to my SIL's house where we will be staying for a while.

We have a house! My wife found a house, convenient to go to work, and we can keep both dogs inside. That was tough to find. Unfortunately, it's half the size of the house we have now...and we have about 375 cartons of household goods to fit into it! :doh:No yard! :bang: It does have a garage...8x10'! :eek:

Just talked to my wife and looks like my SIL had an internet connection installed in her house for me, so I can at least get online. We'll still have to order it for the new house.

I will never, never again move between November and March! It's been freezing here for the last two weeks, and will be til I leave. My wife has been gone for a month, and the dogs are driving me crazy!

Anyway, it won't be long now....

Thanks, Larry. It was great to meet you and your lovely wife, even though the time was short. Would have been nice to have met Bill, Bart and others here, but it still fun meeting here.

I think this will be the last move for us, at least across the pond. I'll be looking forward to meeting Stu and Alex in person, though.

Thanks, Larry. It was great to meet you and your lovely wife, even though the time was short. Would have been nice to have met Bill, Bart and others here, but it still fun meeting here.

I think this will be the last move for us, at least across the pond. I'll be looking forward to meeting Stu and Alex in person, though.

so you dun sold yur fishin poles too:eek: i hope i dont get that old and feeble:)

Nope, all my fishing equipment was tenderly wrapped in bubble pack and is at the shippers warehouse ready to be boxed up and shipped. Lots of good fishing in Japan.

Satoshi is the middle son of the family I stayed with when I first went to Japan. He's quite the fisherman now, and we hope to spend some time together getting one or two of these...

View attachment 26824

Last edited:
I have to take the dogs in approved shipping crates, the small one strapped on top the big one, through the Seattle airport and then on to Narita outside Tokyo. Pick them up at baggage claim, strap them together again and off to Animal Control. Get paperwork approved, and cleared, then off to customs for me...then out of the airport to a pet hotel for the night...I'll stay at the Hilton...:rofl:

Next morning, pick up the dogs and take them in a special Dog taxi for the long drive to Haneda airport (domestic air from Tokyo to Osaka). From Osaka airport, dog taxi again...drop off Tommy at a kennel and take Duskin to my SIL's house where we will be staying for a while.

You are going to have to tell all of us, how this comes out. I am sure there is going to be a story in pulling this off. I will never complain again about my domestic travel...well maybe not for a month or so.

I would hustle down to your sale this Saturday to say goodbye in person, but I don't have to tell you about the problems the weather has brought to this area. Who would have thought we would have such a hard winter?

Hope the rest of the preparations go well.

Last edited:
Greg, I just want to wish you a Safe and Uneventful Trip, and All the Best that life can offer in your Move and newest Venture. Sorry we didn't have This Forum when I used to travel up to Washington a lot, or I would sure have looked you up. Merry Christmas to you and your Family, I'm sure it will be a Happy Reunion there.:thumb:

By the way, When are you gonna spring for that HOUSE in your Avatar?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Boy, going on a trip with dogs sound even worse thank with kids! :eek:

I wish I could meet up with you at Narita, that would be grand, as I'd love to give you a ride to Haneda, but, I very much doubt that even my large van could transport both of your pet containers :(

When you get into a house you own and you need a hand in renovating it, I hope to be able to come down and do so, I've never been to that part of the country :D

I'm sure you will be up to Tokyo at some time, so we should be able to meet then as well, at least we will be in the same timezone!

Cheers!

I'll add my early goodbye too Greg, but looking forward to the time I say hello :wave: again when you are safely there and back on the forum.:type:

I know you are so looking forward to settling in over there and I am excited/happy for you.:thumb:

Safe Journey Greg.:wave:

that looks like a striper without stripes.. and as for fishun for those i could be convinced to do that aswell:) so what is itr greg

Suzuki...Seabass. He catches them all the time, but this is one of his biggest. He lives right near the ocean...

You are going to have to tell all of us, how this comes out. I am sure there is going to be a story in pulling this off. I will never complain again about my domestic travel...well maybe not for a month or so.

I would hustle down to your sale this Saturday to say goodbye in person, but I don't have to tell you about the problems the weather has brought to this area. Who would have thought we would have such a hard winter?

Hope the rest of the preparations go well.

Yep, the pooches are going to be a challenge, for sure. Stores to follow...:rofl:

Yeah, we got 5 inches now. You got hit a lot harder, though. Hope all is well.

Greg, I just want to wish you a Safe and Uneventful Trip, and All the Best that life can offer in your Move and newest Venture. Sorry we didn't have This Forum when I used to travel up to Washington a lot, or I would sure have looked you up. Merry Christmas to you and your Family, I'm sure it will be a Happy Reunion there.:thumb:

By the way, When are you gonna spring for that HOUSE in your Avatar?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks, Norm. That might be a year or so away, but I'll post pics when it happens.

Boy, going on a trip with dogs sound even worse thank with kids! :eek:

I wish I could meet up with you at Narita, that would be grand, as I'd love to give you a ride to Haneda, but, I very much doubt that even my large van could transport both of your pet containers :(

When you get into a house you own and you need a hand in renovating it, I hope to be able to come down and do so, I've never been to that part of the country :D

I'm sure you will be up to Tokyo at some time, so we should be able to meet then as well, at least we will be in the same timezone!

Cheers!

Thanks, Stu

Getting a house that we can renovate will be a while...but I will be sure to give you first shot at wiring, plumbing and sheet rock! I'll take care of any nasty neighbors while you are at work....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Greg,
travel safely, Hope it all goes well with the furred friends along.

Thanks, Ned.

I'll add my early goodbye too Greg, but looking forward to the time I say hello :wave: again when you are safely there and back on the forum.:type:

I know you are so looking forward to settling in over there and I am excited/happy for you.:thumb:

Safe Journey Greg.:wave:

Thanks, Steve....and congrats on the new grandchild!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to being back there...and with my wife again! :doh: Been over a month since she took off on the "scouting mission", but she's done great in getting us a house to live in... Now we have to buy a frig, heaters, curtains, dishes, bedding....and unpack!! :bang:

:rofl:

Last edited:
Well, I'm not gonna say goodbye.

I'll say See Ya :wave: instead. :D Have a great trip, an easy move (as if there is such a thing), and enjoy settling into your new digs. Looking forward to seeing you back here once you get hooked up over there.

Thanks Vaughn...

I'll post some pics of the homestead when I can get online. Will try to include some of the "while I was traveling across the pond and more" pics! :rofl:

Hope your travels go smooth Greg, we'll see you back here...and remember...

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

Can't wait to see some of the new home.

I think right about now Greg is a little worried about getting out of here. Starting late afternoon Saturday we are going to get hammered with much snow and high winds (40 to 70 mph depending on where you are at). If I was you Greg, I would just move everyone to a hotel room next the airport before it hits!