Next Project

Reg Mitchell

Here is the project fro the next few days.
Picture011.jpg

Picture012.jpg

I want to mount the feeder to the shaper top without drilling any holes through the table. I have to make some T-bolts and drill a few hole. Hopefully I can get it done in short time so I can use it soon.
Reg

why no holes? how do you plan to keep the feeder secure?

tod...down the center between those slots is a cast in tunnel for the dust collection. The walls, even though pretty thick, I don't think would support the feeder. So I am going to put down 1/2" plate steel, drill it for the feeder base, and drill it for holes to bolt it to T-nut that wil slip into the T-slots.
Reg

reg,
put a tongue on the plate to keep the base from rotating in the slot, that and make one long "t" nut so that you`re applying pressure over several inches in the slot.
remember that`s a 24" (or longer) lever that you`ll be prying with and it`d be a real bugger to rip out a chunk of cast along the slot:eek:

hey tod
I have 2 slots in my table. about 14: apart. I will be haveing a 9" T nut in each slot
Heres the start
Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

I don't have any square stock but my friend dose so I'll be stopping by his place later to get it to make the T-nuts....Its an odd size so regular T-nut won't fit
Picture013.jpg

reg

.....well heres one of the T-nuts. I will have to fix the draw bar to finish the other one. It came apart at the hex nut so I will have to pin it or weld it
Reg
Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Well I had to make a little gizmo today to make sure I got the T-nuts threaded perpendicular. Ita used in the drill press to put downward pressure on the top of the tap so I can get the tap started stright. It only takes about a 1/4 in travel to have enough threads to finish the hole
Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture026.jpg

I will drill and tap the holes maybe tonight and try to get some pics of how it works
Reg

heres the result of the tapping gismo
Picture028.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture040.jpg

That made tapping the holes sooooo much easyer. I hope to get the holes drilled in the plate steel today and mounted on the shaper getting ready for cabinets this spring
Reg

So now its finished. I am sure there are many ways to do it but I felt this one worked best for my particular shaper......
Picture043.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

I have one more project to do befor spring and I should gt started on it after Christmas. Its a 1200 Powermatic with an automatic feed on it for the machine shop......I had to use a power washer on it befor I took it into the shop and its still nasty. It came out of an old Hoover ballbearing plant close by that went belly up. If you all want pics of the process I'll keep tabs on it if not I'll keep my mess to myself
Picture046.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Reg