SNOW!!!! UPDATED-NEW & IMPROVED!!!!

Karl Laustrup

We are getting hammered right now. Woke to about 7 inches on the ground, but it wasn't snowing right then. By the time I got all my gear on to jump on the JD and blow it around it was snowing again and the wind was picking up.

I still went out and about 45 minutes later had the driveway cleared enough so LOML could take my 4WD Trailblazer to go to work in Madison, some 55 miles away. She left about 7 AM and was back by 7:45. She had gotten on the Interstate and gone one exit, 2 miles, when she decided to turn back. Only one lane plowed and way too many people trying to get somewhere, with traffic moving at about 20 MPH. She decided it would have taken until noon to get to work, which didn't make any sense.

I'd go visit my buddy, who has a place in Vegas and spends winters there, but, he had 6 inches of snow the other day too. :eek:

It's still coming down and they're saying we're going to end up with around 12 inches. Joy of joys, we've got another storm coming Saturday with somewhere around 5-6 more inches. :eek: That should put us even with or ahead of last year at this time, when we had over 100+ inches for the season.

Well, if you're in the path of this storm GOOD LUCK. Take it easy on the shoveling and have a good weekend.

Karl

Last edited:
Karl,
We've got ice this morning. Temp's been hovering right at freezing, and there's about a half inch of icy rain coating everything. Supposed to melt off this afternoon, though, then re-freeze tonight.

The snow that you're getting is supposed to go North of here, so hopefully I won't have to suit up and plow out. Already had to do that once, just before Thanksgiving. The snows came early this year, and we got nearly 20" during November. Just a few inches so far this month, though.

Ain't living in the "Lake Effect Show Belt" fun?

Hey Karl

We are getting this snow here now. The Colorado low has driven it all the way to Toronto. We expect somewhere around 8 inches by the end of the day. coming down like crazy right now. About 9:46 am in Toronto.

We got about 5" of sleet last night. To the north they got 11+" of snow and only ice to the south...I'll live with the sleet, but it is heavy to shovel for sure. Stay safe!

Sorry to hear about all the snow y'all are getting we are still in shorts and t-shirts my parents said they got 4-5 feet Wednesday they live in Idaho

As you may know, my mobile office and I zip all over central NY. I planned ahead this morning, however, and I'm only about 30 minutes from the house. I 'telecommute' but have to be 'away from the house' to work (company policy, No working from Home). I'm currently parked in a service plaza on the NYS Thruway.(restaurant, rest room, fresh coffee..., did I mention the rest room?)

Here's the view out my front windshield...
attachment.php

the diesel is purring away and I'm actually getting a fair bit of work accomplished today... (saw this coming so yesterday I shot tons of photos, today I'm processing them and updating the database with new properties)

Attachments

• windshield.jpg
    windshield.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 196
  • snowvan.jpg
    snowvan.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 44
  • snowview.jpg
    snowview.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It was snowing on Monday when we got off the train, returning from our cruise! We got about 3 inches, all gone now, but we are forecasted for more. I wanted to get back on the train and go back to Mexico!!

The Pacific Northwest doesn't get much media coverage, but we have been getting hammered. I've got about 5 inches of snow on the ground and the road down the hill has about 2 inches of ice on it. Snow stopped, but it's 13F right now. Winds are supposed to blow, gusting to 65 on Sat...last moving sale day!:eek: :bang:

I did not need this....

View attachment 26882

Everyone take care out there...

Last edited:
Greg, it is possibly worse than you think. According the what I read, there is a possibility of ice instead of snow with this blast coming late Saturday. This storm is coming more from the West as opposed to the others that came mostly from the Northwest. It will be warmer with possible rain turning to ice!:eek:

Are you harboring some bad karma that is coming to pass?

A quick update from Wisconsin. Our snow is done for now. 9 inches with this batch. Now the wind is blowing so there'll be some drifting I'm sure.

I think we get a little reprieve now until Saturday evening when we're scheduled for another 5-6 inches. :( Well at least Sunday is the first day of Winter, so the days will start getting longer.

Hang in there those of you that will be getting this storm.

Karl

I had the day off so haven't tried to venture out yet except for 2 brief trips to the back yard with the dog for potty breaks. Looks like a good 6" already on the ground and thankfully it looks like it's starting to slow down some. It looks like we're supposed to get another 2"-4" before it stops. I know this because Comcast's one and only working channel is the Weather Channel. USA comes and goes and the rest are all frozen on one frame with no sound. I find it ironic that the one channel I dont really need today (I already know how bad it is outside) is the only one I can get. Thankfully the cable modem connection has remained working.
I spoze it's time to consider some snowblower duty while waiting for some glue to cure on some things.

SNOW!!!!

SNOW,

Now I remember why I moved here.

Have fun all you guys in snow country.

(We did get snow up on Maunakea) Maybe Royall can see it from where he is. Pictures?

Aloha, Tony

I have plowed out the driveway twice already....after I had a long discussion with the tractor pictured in my avatar. It didn't want to start, but I persuaded it otherwise.

It has calmed down now, but I'm still gonna need to do some more cleaning. up.

Our snow started late. It started about 2:15 pm & we already have about 3-1/2" were supposed to get between 9" - 13" until 9:00pm tonight. Have I mentioned I really hate New England winters. :mad: :mad: :mad: Although it is funny with the new puppy Diamond getting knocked down & slid over the yard by our other dog Lexy. They both are the same size & weight. It is funny to watch I'll post pics when I take them out next.

Last edited:
snow and the animals that are out in it.

my daugther made an error in judgement and decided to drive home today, hoping to miss the brunt of the storm, from far west ny state, to the Island.
she was hit in the rear halfway home, spun around on rt 81 and had damage to her car.
the animal that hit her, kept going.

she is ok, a bit overwhelmed by everything, but is safe and secure and the car is getting repaired.

My only wish before I go to the big woodworking shop in the sky, or whereever, is to cross paths with this animal just once.Im not sure what kind of animal would hit a person on a snowy road, see them spin around over 2 lanes, see a young woman driving, and not see if she was ok.

Many other motorists stopped and assisted her.thankgod there are some decent people in this world, not to mention a guy on this site that offered(I just happenned to get an email from him shortly after it occured)to help her secure lodging and get the car secured tonight. a good guy, wish there were more like him.

I worked from home today as the weather was well predicted. It started snowing around 9:30 AM and snowed pretty heavily all day. We have about 2-3 inches of HEAVY wet snow on the ground. We live just north of I-78 so we get less snow than folks further north.

Doesn't mean I don't have any fun! I live on a county road and the plow contractor just wiped out my mailbox with a well placed load of slush! :eek:

Everyone stay safe and warm! I'm off work till January 5th !!!!

Cheers

Jim

I agree. When judgment day shall come, it sounds tome like he will be wishing for a very cold and snowy place to hide instead of being very hot, thirsty and having callouses on his hands from shoveling coal.

As for me, I wish you guys would share some of that white stuff. You know I love it and yet Las Vegas has more snow then we do! Yep, only a few inches here, and the storm that is pounding many of you is making a track out to sea. Portland Maine is supposed to get 12 inches, but just up the coast a bit, we are not supposed to get a flake. :huh::dunno: