Cabinet project

Bravo Royall.

Nice jobs, both of them. You do good work. The wine rack looks really nice, but there wasn't much of a picture of it though. Maybe I missed some.

I got to hand it to you my friend, you are talented and resourceful. You have done what I had dreamed and planned to do. At least I can see, through what you have done and shown us, what I would have done, if I had been able to.

I gotta call you again. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Aloha, Tony

45 mins, I must be a speed looker :p Wow what a great location for a home Royall, Ya done real good :thumb: entire project is superb.

Thanks Tom for the kind words

I'm sure that you are happy you documented in such detail, years down the road you will appreciate going down memory road.

I've actually have another folder of "location" shots of the plumbing, fixture blocking, and wiring before the rock went up. I'm glad I did that too! DAHIKT:D

Great kitchen, and really like the bath vanity.

All built to SWMBO wants and desires.:D:rofl::rofl: I did point out the vanity though. It was in a one of the woodworking mags but it was made out of bamboo ply and some other exotics for the legs. I couldn't afford 200 bucks plus for the bamboo so I made it out of birch ply and 8/4 birch for the legs. The original had doubled 3/4" bamboo ply with a lacquer finish for the top if I remember so I just used piece of construction 3/4 ply adde a support for the vessel in the center so it wouldn't sag and tiled it. Cathie is happy with it and that's what counts:D

Sure is different seeing hot water heater and water pipes on the outside :eek: man that would equal frozen pipes here in Michigan. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed looking :thumb:

Funny thing about the hot water heater. They call for insulation on them when outside the wall:eek: I don't think there has ever been a day in history it ever got anywhere close to freezing at this elevation:rofl::rofl:

Tom

Later!!

Bravo Royall.

Nice jobs, both of them. You do good work. The wine rack looks really nice, but there wasn't much of a picture of it though. Maybe I missed some.

I got to hand it to you my friend, you are talented and resourceful. You have done what I had dreamed and planned to do. At least I can see, through what you have done and shown us, what I would have done, if I had been able to.

I gotta call you again. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Aloha, Tony

Mahalo nui Tony! you can call anytime:thumb:

Royal, I am working my way through your house pic's. Still have a long way to go, but I just want to say that I am proud of you two ex-Tacoma boys (meaning you and Jerry).

Royal, I am working my way through your house pic's. Still have a long way to go, but I just want to say that I am proud of you two ex-Tacoma boys (meaning you and Jerry).

Thanks Bill, Jerry and his wife are real special people. Gave his contractor business over to their son and retired and then came here to help frame. Then he tells me that he never really framed a house:rofl::rofl: He always hired subs for that!:eek::rofl: But we got it done. He and his wife went to Puyallup High School and I went to Franklin Pierce. Never met until we all moved to Brookings Oregon. He and his wife spent last summer on a 40' Nordhaven Tug cruising the inland passage up in BC Canada.

royal job royall.

Thanks Allen, Nice play on words:D

.. almost 470 photos but it covers the building of my home here in Hawaii. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.:thumb:

Since you offered...

Wow, tons 'o photos.

Count me among the people who are surprised at the presence of a cesspool... :eek:

So is the catchment tank + gutters the only source of water for your house? Considering how much rain you had during construction, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

The only sheathing I saw was the vertical tin panels. That's it? So your walls consist of drywall on the inside, insulation, and then a thin bit of tin on the outside? :huh: It just seems flimsy to me. Or is that "thin tin" a lot stronger than it looks?

You seemed to either put gravel or cinder over a large amount of property. Is that common? No topsoil + grass or other growing stuff? (Hey, San Diego is the closest I've ever been to Hawai'i, so I know very little about things down there.)

Was there any consideration to solar electric or solar hot-water-heater panels? I would think that the further south you live, the more those make fiscal sense.

I was surprised to see that you put drywall on the ceiling of your Lanai. With all that rain that you noted during construction, aren't you worried about it getting wet and ruined? Or is it a special water-resistant kind?

congrat's on a great looking house!
...art

Since you offered...

Wow, tons 'o photos.

Just a couple:D

Count me among the people who are surprised at the presence of a
cesspool... :eek:

Cesspools are still allowed in a lot of areas of the big island. The ground is rock and porous. They star jack hammering the hole with the back hoe and go down until they get into fractured rock. It gets inspected and when passed the back hoe man comes back, lays 4x4's over the hole with a layer of old roofing tin, lay some rebar in and cover with cement. That's it:D:eek:
There are more areas where septic systems are being required. Cesspools will eventually be phased out. This cost me 2500 bucks a septic system would have almost 7 grand
:eek:

So is the catchment tank + gutters the only source of water for your house? Considering how much rain you had during construction, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Yes, that is our drinking, flushing, and irregation water. And in emergencies like a house fire the pumper will (if needed) put a sucksion line in the tank and continue fighting the fire. If you don' have at least 10,000 galons your fire insurance is higher:D As you seen in the photos we have a pump, filters, and a UV steralizer light (that silver tube in the photos) I have no qualms about drinking the water. We've never had any problems runnng out of water but there is only the two of us. Bigger families do at times have to buy water when it gets dry for a while. I can't remember how much it is but a truck with 4000 galons is like 250 or 300 bucks.

The only sheathing I saw was the vertical tin panels. That's it? So your walls consist of drywall on the inside, insulation, and then a thin bit of tin on the outside? :huh: It just seems flimsy to me. Or is that "thin tin" a lot stronger than it looks?

There is a t-111 type siding it is 1/2"x4'x10', tyvic, and sheetrock. The only insulation I put in is the the bathroom walls. Don't have to listen to the "tinkle" that way:D The roof is steel. If maintained will last years and years. I do wish I had put some of that silver colored blanket insulation in the ceiling. It can get warm at times. I did put in an automatic fan in one gable end. Kicks on at a preset temp and goes off when the sun goes away. The construction is stronger than it looks. After the trusses are up there is metal straping layed out in a "X" patern. On the size of ours there was a double "X" side by side. The perlins are layed out next on 24" centers, and on top of that is the tin. There is talk they may call for 1/2 ply sheeting under the tin in the future but I wouldn't want is as you loose so much attic ventalation.

You seemed to either put gravel or cinder over a large amount of property. Is that common? No topsoil + grass or other growing stuff? (Hey, San Diego is the closest I've ever been to Hawai'i, so I know very little about things down there.)

The only tops soil we have comes basicly from the "older" end of the island. They have a red soil that is sticky and gooy like clay when it gets wet and is 30' deep in some areas. Very poor drainage. There is a product called cindar soil. It is a dark cindar that has a lot of fines in it and mixed with mulch. Very expensive:eek: The red cinder will break down faster than the black and both are good growing medium. If I wanted I could plant grass on it or there is an alternative that is like a real couse grass, grows slow, and quite hardy. Don't know what it's called but you start it with plugs and then who mowes it???:eek::rofl::rofl::D

Was there any consideration to solar electric or solar hot-water-heater panels? I would think that the further south you live, the more those make fiscal sense.

I know quite a few people that have installed various sizes of solar power system. Electricity is about .33 a kw:eek: It's the up front cost that is prohibitive. There is a lot of maintenance involved with it too. Very easy to "cook" your batteries like one man I know. Cost him another 4000 bucks for another bank of 6v cells:p:eek:. Solar hot water would have been another option but I've got a tankless gas fired Takagi jr on demand system. Very economical and again it was 5000 bucks for a solar system:( There are a lot of fed and state tax breaks but you pay up front and have to have it installed by an otherized person. There again, didn't have enough capitol for that. I have 2, 100# propane tanks (23 gal.) and one will last about 4-5 months for the two of us. That is for hot water, cooking, and cloths dryer. It cost 95 bucks to fill one tank. Two years ago it only cost 75 bucks to fill.:D

I was surprised to see that you put drywall on the ceiling of your Lanai. With all that rain that you noted during construction, aren't you worried about it getting wet and ruined? Or is it a special water-resistant kind?

Yep, that regular dry wall!:D When it rains here it is wierd. Most of the time you'll get a small gust of cool wind and then in a little bit the sky opens up and the rain comes straight down hard for a while then will stop in the snap of your finger! I've seen just buckets coming down across the yard at my neighbors house and dry at ours and that is about 60' away! So knowing how it rains come down we have at least 3' eavs and that keeps the sheetrock dry enough to "hang" in there:rofl: You do have to keep an eye on it for any mold that might start. I used paint with a fugiside in it and after 2+ years it's still looking good, other than the Geko poo.
:D

congrat's on a great looking house!
...art

Sorry about rambling on so long:eek: Probably more info than you were looking for:D but thank for taking the time to look Art. Hope the answers made sense. Also excuse any typos, I think the spellcheck quit for some reason:huh::dunno:

I know quite a few people that have installed various sizes of solar power system. Electricity is about .33 a kw It's the up front cost that is prohibitive. There is a lot of maintenance involved with it too. Very easy to "cook" your batteries like one man I know. Cost him another 4000 bucks for another bank of 6v cells:huh::dunno:

Around here, based on what I've seen in magazines, folks seem to be getting away from batteries, they just hook up to the grid, and any excess power goes into the grid -- so their electric meter is built so that it will run both backwards and forwards. Seems a smarter/cheaper/simpler way to do things if you have grid available. In the outback you still would need batteries of course.

Wow, no insulation at all? Not even in the ceiling? Doesn't the metal roof sweat on the inside and drip? Amazing. What a climate! Can't talk my wife into moving though I'll bet. ;)

Of course if I found a 5" centipede in my bedroom I'd probably jump a few feet...:eek:

Around here, based on what I've seen in magazines, folks seem to be getting away from batteries, they just hook up to the grid, and any excess power goes into the grid -- so their electric meter is built so that it will run both backwards and forwards. Seems a smarter/cheaper/simpler way to do things if you have grid available. In the outback you still would need batteries of course.

The power company Helco (Hawaii Electric Company) won't pay if you if you put power into the grid.:eek: They don' even say thanks. I is a tight run monopoly and with the "Good old Boys" club running strong in the county, it will never change.:(

Wow, no insulation at all? Not even in the ceiling? Doesn't the metal roof sweat on the inside and drip? Amazing. What a climate! Can't talk my wife into moving though I'll bet. ;)

No runs, no drips. As far as moving to Hawaii, a lot of the people that move here, go back to the mainland because they miss the grandkids or family in general.

Of course if I found a 5" centipede in my bedroom I'd probably jump a few feet...:eek:

Actually I found that one outside. One of the main reasons I build on post and pier. Fewer bugs that way and there are a lot of bugs here!:D One of the cheaper, faster ways to build is on a concrete slab but then you get way too many creepy crawlies in the house.:eek: Some people build their homes on 8-10' foot posts so they can have storage, parking, or just to see the ocean. Everybody has an ocean view here if you build high enough.:rofl::rofl::rofl: