What's to early ?

In the in-town subdivisions around here, autumn is the noisiest time of the year. Retirees seem to spend their entire days outside blowing leaves with those gas powered blowers. There isn't much that makes more noise. One is bad. A hundred in a few square block area is unreal. :eek: I have one, wear ear plugs and have no close neighbors.

Once back about 1985-86 we used to live in a mobile home park. The LOML was very sick & trying to get some sleep & there was an empty lot behind us where some kids had their music playing very loud & wouldn't turn it down. I went in & told the LOML it would be getting a bit noisier for a few minutes but then it would get nice & quiet. Then I went out & backed the truck up which had a load of wood on it & dropped a few logs off & started the chain saw & proceeded to cut wood I cut up 2 4' logs & looked up & by golly those kids & the music box were gone. Hmmm fire musta been to hot for them. I loaded the wood back on the truck & parked the truck & put the saw away. The LOML was ever so grateful.:):D:thumb::rofl:

Last edited:
You can take a legalistic approach to it but you have to live in the neighborhood. If you get a fight going with a neighbor, they can complain about all kinds of things and it can get nasty. So, IMO, you did the right thing.

But, that said, 10am is very reasonable for noise on a weekend.

Mike

I agree with Mike. "Be the peace you want to see in the world!" ;) A little dialog might go a long way. Who knows what's going on inside their house? Good neighbor relations are worth their weight in gold. Would we rather be legally within our rights or have peace and harmony?

Right now, I vote for peace! Ask me again tomorrow... :rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

10am is not too early.

Its too bad your neighbors kid went out all night and partied and think the world has to shut down in the morning so they dont feel their hangovers too severely..
If one of my neighbors told me that their kids were still in bed at 10 AM I would ask the parent where they went wrong to raise such lazy.... well, CoC stuff. Providing I knew they did not have late jobs or illness.

The 'unwritten' rule in our neighborhood is 8AM for lawn mowers, etc.

You know, nothing ticks me off more than when the neighbor down the street fires up one of his power tools. Ticks me off he has the time to make sawdust when I'm tied up having to do something else. :)

Far as I'm concerned, expecting someone else to delay their life till my teenager drags his lazy tail end out of bed around noon on any day is expecting way too much. If my lazy teen is still in bed that late, I'm gonna be the one running power tools to wake him up.:D

I woke up at midnight last night to the sound of my neighbor, 2 doors down, snowblowing!! :eek::doh:He is a super nice guy and has cleaned my walk and drive 2 times this year...but not at midnight!! :bang:

I woke up at midnight last night to the sound of my neighbor, 2 doors down, snowblowing!! :eek::doh:He is a super nice guy and has cleaned my walk and drive 2 times this year...but not at midnight!! :bang:
Hmmmm... You might not like living next to me. I leave for work early. Depending on the day, between 5 and 6. I don't have a snow blower, but I do have a shovel!:D Removing snow is one of those things you have to do, and you're going to make some noise - it's just understood and accepted. However, I think using something louder than a shovel might be frowned upon.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... You might not like living next to me. I leave for work early. Depending on the day, between 5 and 6. I don't have a snow blower, but I do have a shovel!:D Removing snow is one of those things you have to do, and you're going to make some noise - it's just understood and accepted. However, I think using something louder than a shovel might be frowned upon.

Shovel vs. Snowblower....:p I wouldn't have a problem with the noise of a shovel. In fact, I've been known to shovel snow at that time of night, but not a snowblower...and also he is retired, so he isn't is a hurry to get to work. :huh:

Sounds like the KIDS run the house, and you.
Would have a hard time not getting mad, and telling them to shove off. But as one post said one thing leads to another.

Proud of you that you are going to take a Christmas present
over. Maybe one can work it out over a peace pipe.

Make something for the kids, and win them over.............

My rule is 9:00 am before I hit a power switch.

I gotta add a story. First I would say that 10:00am is way not to early.

When I lived with my folks in Lansing Mi. 3 blocks from the capitol building. We had a neighbor who got in the habit of shooting off fireworks at 2-3:00 am. I wasn't aware of this cause I sleep like a dead person. My poor mother was losing lots of sleep however and complained to me about the problem.

This house my parents owned was a monster of a house. I think it was over 5000 sq. ft. and 3 full stories. I rented the third floor with 2 of my brothers and a couple of other friends. It was sort of a college dorm situation. I came up with a plan and enlisted the help of my buddy Mark and my younger brother. We sat up that night on a flat section of roof overlooking the back lots and sure enough, around 2:00 am the neighbor came outside and started setting off bottle rockets. :dunno: I had a laundry basket full of water balloons as well as a home made water balloon launcher. We commenced a firing sequence and immediately scored some direct hits. The funny thing was that this guy had no clue as to how the rounds were coming in. He ran in the house and returned with a flashlight and began cussing out the bushes and demanding that "you little brats better come out". We had to go inside for a while cause we were laughing so hard, and didn't want to give ourselves away. 10 min. later the bottle rockets started going again, so we got back to our weapon and again got this loser wet. The guy was going bonkers trying to catch those little mischievous kids. He started circling the block looking for them. We went out and sat on the front porch and he ran up to us and asked if we had seen any mischievous kids with water balloons. "kids, why no, but I would sure like to break the neck of that idiot who keeps shooting off fireworks in the middle of the night" He gave us a slow look and took off. Never shot any fireworks off at night again. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shovel vs. Snowblower....:p I wouldn't have a problem with the noise of a shovel. In fact, I've been known to shovel snow at that time of night, but not a snowblower...and also he is retired, so he isn't is a hurry to get to work. :huh:

I don't know how much snow you got, but my little snow blower will only handle about 4~5 inches at a time, so I often have to blow the walks off several times. Maybe the neighbor was doing that so he wouldn't have to shovel instead, if the snow got much deeper?

(Even so, midnight WAS a bit much...)

I don't know how much snow you got, but my little snow blower will only handle about 4~5 inches at a time, so I often have to blow the walks off several times. Maybe the neighbor was doing that so he wouldn't have to shovel instead, if the snow got much deeper?

(Even so, midnight WAS a bit much...)

Why are people defending this guy?:p:rofl: :D

He was up at 6am today clearing snow again, but he did my walk as well.:thumb:

Jim, his snowblower is quite big. The blades have to be at least 16" in diameter.

I had "notice" had a neighbor that used to get peeved about noise. Complained once about my starting up the screen at 6 am on a week day. So any way the cops came over that night and asked if I would not start screening at 6 am any more. Sure I can do that, next day I was up and running at 5am.

That's too funny. My first thought was, "yep he's from New England."

I had a woman complain one time because I came around the corner with a pulp truck laden with wood. The corner was sharp and I did take it a bit wide, but hey pulp trucks always ride the crown of the road...just part of life here if you want to keep them upright. Anyway a car was coming and I scared her. She later complained and said I was on her side of the road.

That's okay. I saw her a few weeks later and made sure both dual tires were over the yellow line on a straight stretch of road. The next time I saw her, "Now you have something to complain about.".

As you can imagine, here in Thorndike,Maine we do not have much noise issues. My closest no-related neighbor is a mile away or so. But we still have people that like to complain.

Last October it was the middle of the day, middle of harvest season and some woman complained about the jake-brakes on the trucks going off as the trucks came down the Dixmont Mountain. Now this is a steep hill, the kindof hill where they put salt to the road BEFORE the storm hits so that the plow trucks can make it up after the snow starts falling.

Its also has a sharp S curve that is so bad the truckers jump on the CB and announce to other truckers they are either "coming to the mountain" or "coming down the mountain." Anyway you need a jake-brake.

So this woman complains,the cops show up, and follow the trucks down the hill. Even the weigh-wagons were there, but they never stopped a truck the rest of the day. The police are pretty good here. If they think you make an honest living and do so honestly...or relatively honestly, they leave you alone.

There's gotta be something else going on here. Was his kid sick, or working second shift or something? Otherwise, 10 a.m. is, like most other folks agree, a bit on the conservative side for starting to work. I try to keep things quiet within 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. with an absolute limit of 2 hours in each direction. I have been tempted to fire things up at 0500 or 0600 right after a particularly loud night from the kids / domestic event / fireworks from the house around the corner, but figured this wouldn't be fair to the neighbor on the corner who is retired with a not completely well wife.

For that matter, what kind of sander is loud enough to cause someone to complain about noise at all? The shop vac hooked up to the handheld sander sure, but not the sander itself from my limited experience.

I really hope there is something going on that the OP hasn't mentioned, because I'm a bit flabbergasted that someone would have the nerve to complain about 10 a.m. noise.

While, for the reasons given by the neighbor, I think it was unreasonable, there are times when it would not be. For instance, what would you tell a neighbor who worked nights and normally slept during the morning? I have certainly had times in my life where that was the case and would be a bit peeved at a neighbor who always made lots of noise in the morning. But I also would try to work things out with some give and take (like sleeping with ear plugs which I have also done). So, bottom line, make an effort to find out all the details behind the issue before jumping to conclusions. OTOH, if you know it's late night teens sleeping it off on Saturday morning, I agree, 8AM is reasonable. The teens need to learn there are consequences to their choices.

Maybe it's just me, but when I worked nights, I learned to adapt to a certain extent. When neighbors wanted to cut their grass at 9 AM, I accepted that I was the anomaly and adapted, rather than expect them to operate on my schedule. Now, if you were firing up everything at the crack of dawn on a Saturday, then perhaps I can see them asking you to keep it down, but at 10AM? I know I wouldn't even begin to complain about someone going about their business at that time...anything short of loud music or something equally obnoxious like that ;)

Tom

Gene : I think if I did start I would go with the 10 o'clock time but not no later, I think that you have rights too . They can just go to bed a little early it wont kill them , they don't need to stay up all night and this is what the parents should tell them . That is if the parents are in control , which a lot of parents these days I think don't have the guts to be !!! ....Marshall :thumb: