Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Story of a Woodworking Shop free download and free CD

The Story of a Woodworking Shop free download and free CD

Note inserted on the 28th of January: There is now a PDF version of the journal available for download. Look at post #20 in this thread for details.

This is a journal about planning, building, equipping, and using Frank Pellows shop. It is an update to an earlier version of the journal. The journal is probably best explained by the preambles to both versions:
    Preamble to Issue 1: (Issue 1 was dated 28 May 2005 and was entitled Planning, Building, and Equipping Frank Pellows Workshop)
    This document contains a condensed version of my notes about the planning, construction, population, and initial use of my new workshop. The notes cover a period of approximately two years. As you will see, the notes make extensive use of photographs.
    While building the shop, I filed regular reports and asked many questions on Internet woodworkers forums. In the past, almost all my construction projects have been undertaken with one or more other people. That has many benefits and, for me, the greatest benefit, is to be able to discuss design alternatives both initially and as unanticipated problems and opportunities arise. This time, I started out alone but, as soon as I utilized the Internet, many folks can to my assistance.

Preamble to Issue 2: I am updating this journal to reflect some changes to the shop in the year and a half since I released Issue 1. Also an index of sorts has been added, there has been some reorganization, some new material has been added, the title has been changed and several typos have been fixed (and, no doubt, new ones introduced).
    If you would like a free copy of the journal, just send me your real mailing address by email (fpellow AT sympatico.ca) or by private message and I will send you a copy on a CD. The only string attached is that I would appreciate feedback. Feedback that I received from Issue 1 helped me to make improvements both to the journal and to my shop.

Warnings:
    Right now the journal is only available in Microsoft Word format. I may or may not convert it to html format as well. Version 1 was available in both formats but it took me considerable time to do the conversion.
    The printed version of the document is almost 200 pages long.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-30-2007 at 02:26 AM.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank, I'd love a copy, could you set it up to be FTPed somehow?

I'd not ask you to spend the money sending a CD to me, but if I could download it from you, that would be great!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, the last time I did this, I tried FTPing a copy to a couple of folks without success. The CD route seemed to work better. I mailed them in inexpensive envelopes and experienced minimal damage. I would be happy to mail you a copy. The price of mailing these things to the expected number of requesters is already in my budget.
    Cheers, Frank

I'm curious, Frank, just how much of the CD-ROM is filled by this?

I wonder if there is a tool available for downloading and archiving an entire thread from vBulletin. I bet people would be interested in doing that on
    certain threads - Marty's for instance.

What would be real cool would be if the tool could filter based on the original poster... So you'd end up with one stream of text, which would be the entire thread, and another stream of text, which would just be Marty's comments, and have both streams reference the same photos to save space. Hmmmmmm.

It sure save a lot of time in doing it yourself.

....art

Art,

At the risk of continuing to hijack Frank's thread, and generous offer, I'd be very interested to find such a tool. I have copies of my entire thread from SMC, but only as screen prints and Adobe Acrobat files.

(now back to your originally scheduled broadcast... )
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, theres no end to what you cant do

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I'm curious, Frank, just how much of the CD-ROM is filled by this?

....art
    Art, the size of the Microsoft Word document is about 45,000 KB.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank, that is just under 44Mb, not very big at all.

I don't understand why you could just not FTP it, but if you like, once you send me the CD, I could set it up as a download on my server, I NEVER go over about 10% of the bandwidth I have there.

Up to you.

I'll PM you my snail mail address.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Frank, that is just under 44Mb, not very big at all.

I don't understand why you could just not FTP it, but if you like, once you send me the CD, I could set it up as a download on my server, I NEVER go over about 10% of the bandwidth I have there.

Up to you.

I'll PM you my snail mail address.

Cheers!
    Stu, I will mail the CD to you tomorrow (post office closed for Boxing Day today). And, yes, I would appreciate you setting it up for download off your server. We can try it and see how it works out.
    Cheers, Frank

Copacetic!
    William Arthur Ward

Just in case you are waiting for Stu and I to set this document up for file transfer, you need not wait. I will be more than happy to mail a CD to you. Just send me a mailing address. I have stack of CDs ready to go and, so far, not many people who have asked for it.
    Cheers, Frank