extra B.Saw table surface?

larry merlau

has anyone you folks got a extra table setup on your band saw? got some 48" 8/4 that needs some scroll cuttin and my table for the saw isnt large enuff to support it well.. and i got a piece i can use for the table but where do you postion it? beypund the cut or in frt or rt side complty.. centered???/ got a pic of yours for me to see or a link that shows one? thanks this doesnt look like a jig saw job to me!!! not even a festool:)

What a coincidence. My PBS station decided not to have a fund raiser yesterday and they actually showed a New Yankee Workshop episode. In it, he cut out his table top on his band-saw and was using his shop built auxiliary table. I had seen it before, but I could not help thinking, I need to build one of those. I suggest you check out his website, he probably had an episode on building it.

P.S. I believe he showed using the setup in the front, but I think you could move it around to the side if you wanted for re-sawing.

When I first glanced at this thread I thought you were asking for extra B.S, which I thought was odd cause I thought you had an adequate amount already.:rofl:

.....carry on.

Ok, I read your post a little closer and Norm's is really a circle cutting jig for his bandsaw. Personally I think you probable need both an infeed extension and outfeed extension, maybe something along the line of:

www.woodcentral.com/articles/powertools/articles_828.shtml

This is an outfeed table, but you could build the same for the infeed. I need to do the same, because I have the same problems. I still want to build a circle cutting jig for the table saw to supplement my router circle cutting jig.

Last edited:
I have an outfeed extension on my bandsaw. I made it for using a sled on the bandsaw

Bandsaw Outfeed 1 - 800.jpg Bandsaw Outfeed 2 - 800.jpg

The table attached via this rail. There are a couple threaded knobs that clamp the table onto the saw.

Back Rail 2 800.jpg

The fat parts of the legs are sliding covers for the turnbuckles in the legs.

Leg Turnbuckle Exposed 800.jpg Leg Turnbuckle Detail 800.jpg

Since the bandsaw is right next to my lathe now, more often than not the outfeed table is used as a nearby flat spot to set things down when I'm turning.

When I first glanced at this thread I thought you were asking for extra B.S, which I thought was odd cause I thought you had an adequate amount already.:rofl:

.....carry on.

ok both of you guys are headed for coal in yur stockings,,yur jist benun mean today:rofl: yuo would think i gave some of you harasment in the past:eek: and vaughn thanks for the support and hook up ideas... my old B.Saw doesnt have any fence system and no holes in the table yet.. but i can put tsome in it..

Larry

You can fasten some hardwood strips 1"x1" or 3/4"x3/4" with washers between the wood & the factory table edge to make it stand off because most table edges aren't flat, then drill mounting holes down through the new large top & wood strips to mount the table to. This way you don't have to drill holes through the top of your table top.

I made a bigger table using Nick Englers instructions & plans. The table fits around the factory table which makes it very difficult to mount & get the two tops level with each other. But the method of mounting is the same as described above & should work great with a table mounted on top of the factory table.

Attachments

• Band-saws 003.jpg
    Band-saws 003.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Band-saw top mounting.jpg
    Band-saw top mounting.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
the extensio top is 1.25 thick bart.. so how do i clamp it to the table of the saw? i am tryun to get somethng going similar to vaughns but i have no holes right now..

Ned bought a bandsaw from a mutual friend that had such a larger table. Maybe not quite big enough for 48", but you could implement it bigger. Hopefully the saw still has the table top and Ned could post a pic of it.

fence.jpg

saw.jpg

like these?

thanks bart for the pics and ned too.. now bart did you drill the holes to mount those slats? cause this saw doesnt have any holes in the side of the table and to clear that part up my table extension is to be on the same plane as the exiting table.. its L shaped the lower left corner is cut out to accepth the saw table and the rest is extra table room that is if you stood it up on edge ans was looking at the face of it

larry,
here ya` go full of "stuff" to hinder your viewing pleasure:rolleyes:....the piece of mdf screwed to the legs attaches to the right side giving me 5` to the right and 4` behind the blade.

MVC-030S.JPG

MVC-031S.JPG

MVC-032S.JPG

thanks bart for the pics and ned too.. now bart did you drill the holes to mount those slats? cause this saw doesnt have any holes in the side of the table and to clear that part up my table extension is to be on the same plane as the exiting table.. its L shaped the lower left corner is cut out to accepth the saw table and the rest is extra table room that is if you stood it up on edge ans was looking at the face of it

Yes Larry I did drill the holes.

larry,
here ya` go full of "stuff" to hinder your viewing pleasure:rolleyes:....the piece of mdf screwed to the legs attaches to the right side giving me 5` to the right and 4` behind the blade.

well tod leave it to you to make me whimper,, just seeun a familiar spot that i wish i could stay at longer:) thansk tod

Yes Larry I did drill the holes.

bart thanks for the reply,, looks like the drill will come out tonight then

larry,

View attachment 27024

View attachment 27025

View attachment 27026

Why yes it's a pile-it bench...why do you ask? Bigger bench bigger pile of course.:):D:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::wave: shocking just shocking:):D:wave::rofl::rofl: .Tod I decided a long time ago when I get into a bigger shop I am going to have a dedicated pile-it bench. A place for when I come into the shop with a load of stuff everything accept tools can be piled & it gets cleaned off once a week. Simplifies everything...now where did I hide that bench er pile....ah pile-it bench???:rofl::rofl::rofl: Oh & a 5' wide by 8' tall open faced set of shelves where I just store stuff not tools not finish not glue or nails or hardware just stuff in a pile-it shelf.:doh::dunno::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
well here is my version!

well after having it put together temporay like tods with 2x4 legs and seeing barts anchoring to the bandsaw and vaughn extra shelf space,, and of course using it with the temporay hook up.. i decided that it was a good idea to have all the time rather than just on some occasion's we all need more shelf space huh..
so this first pic is how i supported it ..
100_4084tn_.JPG

the second pic shows the rails like bart had.
only i used some alum angle and some
high strngth pop rivets to anchor it.
100_4083tn_.JPG[

and the final shot shows the finished space..
its not to big but much better
than the old tables surface..
like 36" right and 26" deep..
100_4085tn_.JPG