Burl Biscuits

Pete Jordan

I have a few cherry burls and was thinking of the best way of using them and I came up with these. They are 6,7, and 8 inches and finished with spray poly but have not been buffed. I thought by making these about a half inch thick I could get many pieces out of one burl instead of blowing up a bowl or hollow form.

Thanks for looking and critiques are welcome.

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• bb1.JPG
    bb1.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 32
  • bb2.JPG
    bb2.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 25
  • bb3.JPG
    bb3.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 11
  • bb4.JPG
    bb4.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 18
  • bb5.JPG
    bb5.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 20
  • bb6.JPG
    bb6.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 10
I have a few cherry burls and was thinking of the best way of using them and I came up with these. They are 6,7, and 8 inches and finished with spray poly but have not been buffed. I thought by making these about a half inch thick I could get many pieces out of one burl instead of blowing up a bowl or hollow form.

Thanks for looking and critiques are welcome.

Merry Christmas!

Pete, they are very pretty, and a woodworker can appreciate the burl. But if your grandmother got one for Christmas, would she know (and appreciate) what to do with it?

I have made coasters out of 1/4 inch slices of cedar logs (actually old dry cedar fence posts with the sapwood gone) and they make great coasters, as long as they are unfinished so the cedar absorbs the sweat from the glass.

I tried to make hot pads out of larger diameter wood slices, but never found a finish that liked being as hot as hot pads sometimes support.

I have made quite a few small bowls out of wood scraps only 3/4 inch thick, which I see people using as holders for paper clips, pins, coins, pills, etc. That would be my suggested use. With a glued on tenon to mount the wood, I bet you could get a small bowl out of 3/8 to 1/2 inch of wood.