first bandsaw box

Frank Fusco

For a long time I have been in awe of the mysterious bandsaw box. Looked super complicated to make. Finally made one, my first. Not complicated but a little time consuming. Cut off this hunka maple from one of my big slabs. Put a 1/8" blade on my bandsaw and started. Also first time I have ever used a 1/8" bs blade. Had it for a long time, just nebber used. Learned sumptin' quickly. IT'S FUN! :D Can do lotsa tight curves and squigglys with it never could do before. Not a surprise, just never experienced. Tried it, like it. Enneyhow, did my slicing and dicing, glued back together and did lots and lots of sanding. Not bad for first. This was first time I ever used Titebond II glue. Might be good for some applications but the glue seams dry yellow and almost glow. Not good for this kind of application. Nothing mysterious how this box was made, seams do show. Probond had been my previous standard because it dries almost invisible.
I put some Minwax wipe-on on it, rubbed a bit and voila, a bandsaw box.

Attachments

• bandsaw box.jpg
    bandsaw box.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 95
where did you have that stashed???? i hadnt seen your good stuff frank when i was there last.. or i woulda been drueling over that for sure..thats fine piece of maple,, nice box as well:thumb:

Looks nice. I need to get some 1/8 blades made for the Powermatic and have a go at one of these. Someone dropped a couple pieces of spalted stump of some sort that would look good as a box. Did you line the drawers with anything?

Frank that is a good job. I made a couple last year out of a piece of apple. I built one that you push the one drawer in and it pushes the other drawer out. Seems like magic! They also are big hits with kids if you block draw their name or draw a cartoon big foot truck, one hidden drawer under the hood, one hidden drawer under the bed and the door of the truck is the real drawer. I did read somewhere and one person stated, "they ought to be called sanding boxes instead of bandsaw boxes."

Frank that is a good job. I made a couple last year out of a piece of apple. I built one that you push the one drawer in and it pushes the other drawer out. Seems like magic! They also are big hits with kids if you block draw their name or draw a cartoon big foot truck, one hidden drawer under the hood, one hidden drawer under the bed and the door of the truck is the real drawer. I did read somewhere and one person stated, "they ought to be called sanding boxes instead of bandsaw boxes."

Amen to the sanding bit.

where did you have that stashed???? i hadnt seen your good stuff frank when i was there last.. or i woulda been drueling over that for sure..thats fine piece of maple,, nice box as well:thumb:

Think about it Larry. If you were Frank, and you knew that you were were coming over, wouldn't you hide all your best stuff? :rofl:

Nice job, Frank. Those bandsaw boxes are fun to do.

I didn't let you in the big garage outside. Walnut, maple, Osage Orange, Redbud and more. :D

SMARTER THAN I THOUGHT!:rofl:

Someday, I will post what Larry did not see at my place:D. Well he saw one, but he has no idea, it was just the tip of the iceberg...a very big iceberg.:)

Think about it Larry. If you were Frank, and you knew that you were were coming over, wouldn't you hide all your best stuff? :rofl:

Nice job, Frank. Those bandsaw boxes are fun to do.

Fact is, he wasn't here real long. Looked at my shop and we talked a lot. Eventually we would have got outside and to the garage. He probably would have left with a nice slab of walnut in his truck.