Potting Bench

Aaron Beaver

Here are some pics. Made out of Redwood, not real fond of working with that wood, and it is still unfinished as I want to make it my first project that I spray. That way if I mess up spraying it wont be as big a deal since its staying at our house, be good practice. As for the construction, it just glue and screws and a few bolts with washers because it folds up. I will see if I can get a picture of it folded.

Last edited:
That's awesome, Aaron. Any details of the construction, finish etc. How about a close-up of the engraved front? Definately makes for excitement this Spring...or are you going to use it indoors?

That's awesome, Aaron. Any details of the construction, finish etc. Definately makes for excitement this Spring...or are you going to use it indoors?

Must of been adding the details when you posted Greg, but they are there now. It will probably stay indoors for now as my wife grows starter plants (from seeds) for her flowers. I will add some hooks to the under side of the shelf to hold the grow light so it can be close to the plants.

Very nice, Aaron. I really like looks of the copper pipe shelves, and the folding aspect would be real useful at or house. Very well done.

(And even more impressive that you still were able to cobble it together despite having to use those low-end tools I see in the background of the first pic.) :rofl: Nice stuff...I'd like to have something in that class some day. :thumb:

I'm sure she will like it, looks fine from here.
Two questions: Why don't you like working with redwood?
If it is a working bench for potted plants, why spray finish? Redwood will last longer than a rock unfinished.

Two questions: Why don't you like working with redwood?
The stuff machines and sands really well. Some of the pieces I got even had some nice grain patterns in them. The thing I didn't like about it was that it was SO soft. I couldn't believe how soft this wood is, it makes it difficult to handle and you have to be very careful. You can't drop anything on it, or let a screw driver slip when installing screws or it will dent. I even had a piece leaning on a bench and fell over and it dented good. I have had wood get dents from dropping things on them but not like this does. It makes me wonder about using potting tools and things on them, just have to be careful that you "lay" things down and not toss them down. Not that it was a big issue but I had to buy dimensioned lumber (from a decking supply place) so the pieces ended up thinner than what I wanted because I had to machine them down to square them up. I bought some 2x6's and some 1x6's but they were already down to 11/16 so after machining they were about 1/2" when I wanted 3/4"

If it is a working bench for potted plants, why spray finish? Redwood will last longer than a rock unfinished.
As for finishing, I have heard that I should & shouldn't so its really undecided, but I would only put a clear protective coating on it of some sort if I did anything. If its will last longer without then I may just let it go. Thanks for the tip on that.

Very nice, Aaron. I really like looks of the copper pipe shelves, and the folding aspect would be real useful at or house. Very well done.

I am very pleased with the way the copper looks to Vaughn, especially with this wood. It may not go with every type of wood but looks good with this one.

I am very pleased with the way the copper looks to Vaughn, especially with this wood. It may not go with every type of wood but looks good with this one.
Well done, Aaron!

And once the finish hits the Redwood, the copper [nice touch btw] will really look nice. As well, as the copper obtains a patina, it will continue to add depth to this piece.

Take care, Mike

nice work

Looks great Aaron. I like your design and execution.

I've made some canoe paddles with redwood. Nice and light. Anyway, a spar varnish finish worked well on them, FWIW.
Ken