Thread: Steel City Drill Press Mobility

Steel City Drill Press Mobility

Hi everyone

I need to be able to move my new drill press around the crowded shop, err garage.

Thanks for all the suggestions on rolling stands. Here's what I ended up with.

I had a rolling base for a DJ20 that I was going to buy last year from Amazon. They shipped the base and then delayed forever on sending the jointer. When I cancelled the jointer they wouldn't let me return the base.

So, I was going to give it away here but then thought that will a bit of cutting I could have a good mobile base.

I went to a machine shop and had them cut a section out of the two sides.

Then I milled out some maple so that it fit TIGHTLY into the hollow tube sides.

I reassembled the frame, forcing the two sides over the wood using big parallel clamps.

Then I bolted on a base laminated from two 3/4 inch pieces of ply and bolted the unit on top.

So far, so good, it rolls easily and isn't tippy when I'm moving it and when I drop the wheel down it is rock solid.

Probably isn't a cost effective way to go, but since I had the base and was going to give it away anyway this approach seemed to work

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Lock; 11-04-2007 at 12:23 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Looks like a great solution. Glad it worked out
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Steve Clardy Guest
    Excellent solution Jay

Good job Jay! Nothing better than to be able to use something that you already have. Sounds like good economics to me.

Jay... isn't it a bit awkward to reach around to the back to push down on the lift/wheel ?? It would be in my shop, since my DP is pushed into a corner or against the wall.

Looks good though, can't hardly see the seam.

Art

Yeah I thought about aligning the DP so the wheel was in the front, but decided that I was going to be hitting it all the time with my feet when I was using the DP so I decided to put it on the back. So far I haven't had any trouble, it is jammed up against a wall, I just push down with my foot and then pull the bad boy out.

Jay