Dyed Sycamore Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Since I got a big batch of sycamore a while back, this is the beginning of a lot of sycamore pieces from me. Most of it is pretty plain looking, so I suspect I'll be playing with the dyes one a number of these. This one is about 9" x 4 1/4", with a three-tone dye job. Actually, this is the third dye job in this bowl. The first two had flaws I wasn't willing to live with, so they were sanded off and I started over from scratch. Finish is buffed rattle can lacquer, with Antique Oil as the first coat on the inside of the bowl.

Bowl 056 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 056 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 056 - 03 800.jpg

Like always, comments and critiques are appreciated -

Very cool, Vaughan! :thumb:

I wonder if you and I have scored different varieties of sycamore? It could be that we just haven't synced up on grain direction yet, so we're getting different patterns. :huh:

I'd like to know more about the process you use with the dyes. Have you already posted about it? Do you dip? Wipe? Spray? Some combination?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. :thumb:
...I'd like to know more about the process you use with the dyes. Have you already posted about it? Do you dip? Wipe? Spray? Some combination?
I'm spraying the dye with a mini HVLP gun. Still working on the process (hence the two unacceptable attempts before I got this one). I'm using DNA as a carrier for the dye. I put anywhere from about 10 to 20 drops of Transtint dye per ounce of DNA.

...Do you hand sign your pieces or do you use one of the irons?
The "VM" part is done with a woodburning pen with a piece of nichrome wire bent into that shape. Sort of a home made branding iron. The other hen scratches are done with a small ball-tipped woodburning pen.