thought for the wknd!

larry merlau

ok we have this forum setup to be family oriented,, as much as we can, so lets try to get our craft showed to the younger generation some,, this wknd we all will have family and surely some youngsters that might be interested in seein what we do here,, and maybe some of them can have there parents help them make something and post it here for the other youngsters to see,, and us old timers as well..lets try to make it what it says. family woodworking and not daddy and mommy woodworking..:D:thumb:

Now hey there Larry, I am happy as a clam today with the conversation I had with the wife last night still fresh in mine ears. She informed me that she is interested in taking some woodworking classes!!! I told her not to worry about giving any money to the local education establishment, but rather, I would be glad to give her a tour with instructions.

I for one am looking forward to making our endeavor a mom and pop operation. Heck, the kids are out there plenty anyway............If only I could train them to TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!!! when they leave the shop of course.

I like your post however and I will consider my options and employables in the kid department.. I think I can find a few to make something with dad. Good idea.

Oh and I just remembered. I just got my LLC papers filed with the state and federal handlers. We are now official as; Downes Family Woodworks LLC. I hope to do some damage this coming year.

Golly Larry, don't know if I can find some kids to help learn woodworking!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Actually my niece and nephew love sanding pens and applying the friction finish but their hands are to tender to properly rub the finish off/in. Anyway, made them each a pen and am bringing in the pen press tomorrow so they can put their pen together.
Paul, my wife's only interest at this point is in the scroll saw. I bought her a DeWalt and once the new shop is operational, she will have her own place and DC. Good luck on instructing one of your own. I find I have less patience with family as I do students as school. :huh::dunno: So the dough spent at a Woodcraft store might still be very beneficial for all of you. Also will empower he to information you might not have so she feels as an equal instead of always the insubordinate.

She informed me that she is interested in taking some woodworking classes!!! I told her not to worry about giving any money to the local education establishment, but rather, I would be glad to give her a tour with instructions.

Am I the only one to see a high potential for martial discord here?:D I am sure glad I did not know my wife when she was learning to drive because that would have probably been the end of us.

Paul, on a more serious note, taking classes are a good idea. Last year the two of us traveled to Texas and took some woodturning classes together. It was a fun and different vacation...a learning vacation. We plan to do the same next year. We probably will take different classes, because of our different interests and abilities, but at the same place. I am trying to figure out just what and where.

Well I don't thimk that I will get any of my family in the shop too soon. My wife would start cleaning and throwing stuff away. ( I'm a pack rat and she mrs. clean.) Maybe that is how I get a DC. My oldest son would rather hunt and fish. The other son lives 4 1/2 hrs. away. Finally my doughter who just moved out is more interested in a guy. I have been warned that he wants to talk to me over Christmas vacation. He is going to chef school. I mainly do flat work but would like to start turning small stuff.

Well I don't thimk that I will get any of my family in the shop too soon. My wife would start cleaning and throwing stuff away. ( I'm a pack rat and she mrs. clean.) Maybe that is how I get a DC. My oldest son would rather hunt and fish. The other son lives 4 1/2 hrs. away. Finally my doughter who just moved out is more interested in a guy. I have been warned that he wants to talk to me over Christmas vacation. He is going to chef school. I mainly do flat work but would like to start turning small stuff.
well just where are you from rex? if you were to add that to your profile we could tell your oldest son if the fish were bitun up this way:) i too have that interst but i can do the other sometimes too:) when the guy comes to chat just say yes and you will save your self alot of dough:) till the weddin comes then its just one payment and he gets the rest for the future:rofl::rofl: so maybe a neighor kids was free to putter in your shop never know.

Rex, this guy wants to have "the" talk with you??? Doesn't he understand you already have children, "the" talk is not necessary!?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry, couldn't resist.:doh:
If it is the "request" for your daughter's hand and life, well, at least he is a stand up guy. Respect that.
Chef school, flatwork, can anyone say,

"CUTTING BOARDS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: