Jointer Max. Cut Depth = 1/8"
Planer Max. Cut Depth = 0.08"
Height = 17 inch
Width = 20 inch
Length = 40.4 inch
Net Weight = 73.9 pound

Around $425

Last edited:
I have always wonderd if the are very solid units. They do not seem to like they would stay in specs when you are always switching them between planer and jointer. Let us know what you find out.

My cordless system is Ryobi and I have the Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw in my shop so I'm not the guy who denigrates tools based on brand. However, $425 is approximately the cost of a Ridgid 6" jointer and a Ryobi 13" planer. Maybe a bit less. On top of that this unit is a combo unit, so a certain amount of manipulation will be needed going from one mode of operation to another. Personally, I don't think that I would trust the unit to retain trueness. Kind of like how I don't trust an RAS that sells new under $1500. I'd be nervous that the quality just wasn't there.

What I've read about combo jointer-planers is that they exist primarily for folks that need to save space, especially for folks that need a wider jointer capacity. Cost savings is seen when comparing to purchasing dedicated units with the jointer being a wide jointer, but cost savings is typically not seen when comparing to dedicated units where the jointer is about half the width as the planer. Most combo units have jointer beds on the short side, though this example is near the shortest I've seen.

It has been awhile since I've read about combo machines. I looked into them when I was getting ready to get my jointer and planer (which ended up being the Ridgid 6" jointer and Ryobi 13" planer - the older unit with the cutterhead lock) and came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to save any money with a combo unit.

Maybe this unit will work fine, last long and retain trueness over repeated changes of operational mode. That price tag is just too low for me to trust that it would though. If I was looking to purchase one, I would definitely want to speak with friends who had used one.

Thanks guys. Interesting points Mark. I remember the discussions in the audio field when folks were talking about integrated units vice discreet components. It seems one makes a trade-off to combine units, and you pointed out the cost saving may be nil.

get two seperate units or just the planer, depending on what your after frank in the final outcome.. you can elimante the jointer by gettin your wood skip planed and straight lined. and use a good rip blade. and this from one who has jointer but wouldnt get another.

Frank,

I think the beds are too short! :rofl:

Honestly, I'm as cheap as the next guy, but my jointer and planer cost around 700 combined. They let me make small and midsized stuff, and I can buy rough lumber and mill it. Not sure you can get that capability for much less than that. :dunno:

I think this is about as low as I'd go for a combo machine:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Jointer-Planer-Combo/G0675

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Frank,

I think the beds are too short! :rofl:

Honestly, I'm as cheap as the next guy, but my jointer and planer cost around 700 combined. They let me make small and midsized stuff, and I can buy rough lumber and mill it. Not sure you can get that capability for much less than that. :dunno:

I think this is about as low as I'd go for a combo machine:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Jointer-Planer-Combo/G0675

Thanks,

Bill

Except for space saving considerations, methinks buying to different machines would be the best decision. And, those would (could) probably come to about the same money.

I feel you are both right. Jet makes OK tools, not a bad name, but even for more money two machines are better than one. Now if I could only build the 50' X 50' workshop. :rofl:

FWIW, I'm seriously thinking about one of these. It's about the only way I can have a jointer and a planer, due to not only space but price as well. I just don't have any place to store a jointer (except for my #7 ;)) However, I don't want to waste money either, so hopefully someone else will bite the bullet and give it a try and let me know how it works :D

Tom