Are you serious???? I put in my email that I would be interested if they don't sell for the advertised price. (figure then to do some bartering) If it sells, no problem, don't need it, would just be a novelty. Really would put out some cash for a pattern lathe. But if they contact me, will let you know and would appreciate you looking/storing it for a while for me? Don't know when Larry will be heading your way! :rofl::rofl:

An 1880 lathe

Chuck, That looks like a nice little machine, and in pretty decent shape too.

Jonathan, It would make a nice project. It appears to be the metal turning version of the lathe. I have an old drawing of the wood turning version somewhere. (I'll post it when I find it.)

The drawing (looks to be the manufacturer catalog drawing) shows the treadle and flywheel pulley, with a tool rest on a banjo, but no carriage or change gears or back gears.

It seems to be a Seneca Falls machine, as it it listed.

I'd love to work on a project like that. Good luck on acquiring it.

Pictures later.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
An 1880 lathe

Update:

I found the pic of the lathe and then found a second one which is very close to the machine in discussion. Let me see if I can upload them here.

Seneca lathe 01 (453 x 600).jpg
This is of the wood turning version.

Seneca lathe 02 (442 x 600).jpg
This is of the metal turning version.

These look very similar to the posted machine, but I may be mistaken. Machines from way back then were so similar it's easy to get fooled from pictures.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, Tony