What did santa bring you?

Al killian

I made out pretty good this year. Pics to follow later. Wife bought me a Freud 2.5 hp combo kit, another saw kit for my planer and a book on cabinet makeing from Udo Schmidt.:thumb: Now time to go play.

I'm essentially laid off for the two holiday weeks, so we decided to postpone our gift giving to each other this year until Valentine's Day. I've started to once again work on a jewelry box project that has been sitting around for some time now.

Be good to see what the rest of you all haul in though. :thumb:

Coal

lupm+of+coal.jpg

Chuck - i have a Super Nova and i really like it alot - 4 jaw came with smooth expansion jaws, worm screw and adapter in a kit. 2 places to tighten with a hand allen wrench, the handle broke on mine after a few uses and the company i got it from promptly replaced it (good support). I then bought a set of spigot jaws for it a month after having it because i dont like to use the expansion set (just a preference thing they work fine). The Spigot jaws grip very good and i can turn much longer pc's safely.
I have a few friends that turn and have other types of chucks - I still prefer mine its just better built.

You will really like the Super Nova. Personally i give it a thumbs up as a great pc of equipment to own..........

I got 52 extra days of vacation for 2009. The company is going to a 32 hour work week. Unemployment for Friday. The youngest son and grandson are coming home in the middle of January so that is my present. I tell the kids to get me sandpaper if they feel they need to get something. Can never have enough of that. They all laughed when I suggested a One Way lathe.

I got a book on Stickly furniture, a book on drafting and furniture design, the Lee Valley tool calendar, and a $25 gift card from Lee Valley. Also, the inlaws gave me $50 that will probably get spend on woodworking stuff :D

It was kinda surreal; I should have taken a picture. No tree (no kids, 2 dogs, and not much room) so there were two stacks of small-ish cardboard boxes by the coffee table with Amazon printed on the side. The boxes with my wife's name were for me, the ones with my name were for her. :huh:

It occurred to us last week that it would be a pretty bleak Christmas if we didn't do something fast, so we each created an Amazon Wish List and made sure the other person could get to it. :dunno:

I couldn't think of much that I wanted, so my list was fairly short and ... what do you know ... I got everything I "asked for". :rolleyes: My wife's list was longer, so she had the "luxury" of being "surprised" with what actually showed up. :rofl:

I got a couple of Incra accessories (protractor, hold-downs), some hooks for my pegboard, a small workbench vise, and some books. Probably my favorite gift was a late entry; a book called [Electrical Things Boys Like To Make] ... a reprint of a 1954 book written by a high school shop teacher. It has 144 pages of projects (buzzers, motors, etc) followed by 60 pages of "how to" which is referenced throughout. Just what I would have loved to have as a kid, when I was trying to learn about electricity from our family encyclopedia. :doh:

I mostly got fly fishing gear this year (e.g. FatCat float tube and flippers and a new stripping basket). The lone woodworking exception was an instructional DVD and salt and pepper mill kit from Lee Valley.

The funny this is that the kids got a Wii and various associated games and based on how much fun I've heard these things are, I'm kinda excited to give it a try.:p

got some furnishings for my quest room in the shop:D

one was made by dad
100_4080tn_.JPG

and the other gotten by my better half..
100_4081tn_.JPG

some gift cards as well.

Last edited:
A full aluminum ring set for my PRL, a sink for the gara . . . er. . . shop, a Grizzly G0440, a three-size set of Channel-loc pliers, Lowe's gift card, a new robe and other non-WWing related stuff. Merry, Happy, etc. to all.

Leave it to Mr. Burton to come up with a great idea, "an Amazon Wish List and made sure the other person could get to it.", even if it is too late for this year for me.

I really only wish for continued good health, so maybe I can enjoy what I already have. And the wish for happiness for my family and friends is a constant wish that I want to receive forever.

Hope everyone got what they wished for too.

Aloha, Tony

I got to stay up half the night puttin' stuff together!! Glad I don't have kids at home anymore. :huh:

Started with a small bike for Grand daughter, then a basketball goal for grandson (SIL on duty at Fire station last night so I got the honors). The bike was a piece of cake, the basketball setup was easy AFTER staring at the instructions for 45 minutes to figure it out.

Then this AM got to put a trampoline together. The unit was nice but the instructions were USELESS!! Finally other SIL & I threw the instructions to the ground and looked at the picture on the box, sorted out the parts and got it together. Looked at the instructions again when we were done and they still didn't make any sense!

Made the rounds this morning to the kids houses and saw what the grands got, the entire family will gather at our place tonight for pot-luck feasting and finish exchanging gifts.

LOML did give me a small remote control helicopter this morning. Now if I can get it to hover without spinning I might be able to fly it! :bonkers:
Good thing I just got a new shipment of blood pressure pills.

Going to catch some :zzz::zzz: before the gang shows up. Tony

I dont celebrate xmas, but I did receive a very unexpected and great gift yesterday evening.(left with my wife for me)

I was working till 8 last night, I just couldnt get the people out and lock up and go home.

Before his xmas eve family get together, a neighbor of mine, a partime contractor, retired now, saw a Kreg Jig set and thought it was a neat toy and bought it for me.
I was very suprised. Weve been neighbors for 20 years, attended a few events together over the years, not many though, and I was kinda shocked he thought of me although hes always stopping over my garage to see what Im making.(when he hears the tools)

Very nice of him, Ill give him a buzz or walk over there in a couple of days.

Never expected anything from a neighbor, never exchanged with any neighbor other than holiday cheer in all these years.

Lots of hugs and kisses and a fabulous turkey dinner from my sweetheart of 30+ years. It was great!!

A moisture meter from my parents to use with the wood I take from my sawmill.

cheers and Merry Christmas to all :wave: !!

John

Last edited:
i think that these tough times are bringing out what makes us who we are! when things are going well there are many that look at the dollars and nothing else, but when the times get tuff the best things in life show up. like what allens neighbor did.. and for me, dad made a simple towel holder for my quest room,, and now i am gonna ask him to make me a paper holder:) full set from my dad.. cant ask for much more than that!

The inlaws got me $50 for the orange borg. My daughter picked me up a new pocket knife (really needed one too). My wife got me a new tripod/ball head for the camera and an electric razor. My son said that his is still in the mail, but he did make it up to spend the night and most of the day today, which was more than enough. Also got to fire up the smoker and cook a chicken for dinner, so it was a good day.