a work in progress

ken werner

Just thought I'd send up a few images of a pair of tables that are nearing completion. Not made only with hand tools, but with a fair amount of hand work. All joinery is traditional - pinned mortise and tenons, hand DTs, and a solid pine drawer bottom, with a wide handplaned chamfer.

Tops will be be chamfered on the underside, and look less clunky.

I stole the basic design from an old Home Furniture magazine, then adapted it to suit. The shelf has breadboard ends, which have integral tenons that fit into mortises in the legs.

Primary wood is cherry. Drawers have pine parts.

Will post more when completed, but wanted to share these images underway.

Ken

Attachments

• 2 tables.jpg
    2 tables.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 84
  • drawer.jpg
    drawer.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 45
  • drawer side.jpg
    drawer side.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 34
Very nice! I work only with cherry. Never mastered the hand cut dovetails, use the Leigh jig. Maybe I'll try again to cut by hand. Wish I could do them as fast as Frank Klaus.
What do you use for finish? I am now using one coat of Watco (to enhance the aging process), followed by Sam Maloof's finish. Also trying the Minwax wipe on Poly and am liking the results.
Bottoms are classy but expensive. Wonder if the guys of old would have used 1/4" plywood if they had it available.
Should be a family heirloom!
Brian Rice

Actually, I have a friend who put in a wide plank pine floor in his house. He gave me the offcuts, which were perfect for drawer bottoms, once I thinned them to about 3/8". ;).
Ken

Ken, it's coming along nicely. I'm glad to see you went all the way on the drawers and that you put a raised panel bottom. It's a real nice touch - more work, but a much nicer look.