Powermatic 1200 ( Compleated)

Reg Mitchell

Well I got the 1200 down today. Sorry I don't have any pics this time but it was so nasty I wasn't allowed in the house to get the cam :eek:. I'll soak tonight and grab a few quick one tomorrow and let you see that mess. It's a good thing I powerwashed it before I took it into the shop or I might be spending a few night there getting the mess off
Reg

Last edited:
Thanks Frank. A friend on OWWM had the info I needed and what he didn't have I just had to wing it. I'll post a few pics later of progress today
Reg

Well heres a few pic of the 1200 down.
Picture049.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Tomorrow I'll take it to the carwash and try getting the grease and gunk off. Somebody reminded me I can spray ovencleaner on it to break down the grease and it will take part of the paint too. I found a few bearing bad so Mon. I will head out to get them. They are small ones so it won't be a big deal but they need replaceing just the same Some of the smaller parts I primered after I ran them on the wire wheel so they don't start rusting.
Reg

Hi Stu. sorry I didn't get a better pic of that. It's a power feed. ONly one I've seen on a powermatic
Reg

Well heres a little progress on the Powermatic.Lots of time cleaning the gunk off. I used easy off oven cleaner. Works real well, even took some paint too
Picture056.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

I like that rustolem hammered look. It great to do cast. Even if you get a run you can always blame it on the casting......naaaaa it the casting that makes it look that way
Reg

A little more progress today.Looks like I'm gonna need to make a piece for the powerfeed too. Cheeper and a lot faster to make than getting another one cast and then machined
Picture065.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture071.jpg

And heres the little jewel I have to make
Picture069.jpg

I love haveing the stuff to make things I need rather than haveing to try find them for older machines, and keeps the mind occupied :dunno:
Reg

Hi Larry. I was doing a little research on old WW tools and saw about a tenoner. I wanted one for doing cabinets later and couldn't really afford a large dbl ended one. I ask around about the Millbury and found a man that was willing to sell me one at a real good price. I had it brought up by another friend that was comming this way. It's great for doing a lot of same size tendons
sharp009.jpg

Heres a bigger pic for you
myrtelwoodtbltop110.jpg

Reg

Well I think it's starting to look like a DP again
Picture075.jpg

Got a few more of the smaller pieces painted and turned and threaded the handles in stainles put the new knobs on

Picture072.jpg

Picture073.jpg

Even got the finger gizmo roughed out that works the power feed

Picture076.jpg

Picture077.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Hopefull I can get that finished and the nut weilded on to add a bit of muscle so it won't break again
Reg

Lookin' REAL GOOD, Reg. :thumb: Wish I had a Metal lathe & a Bridgeport a lot of times, 'cause machine work around here is all charged at OIL PATCH PRICING, :eek: 'n most shops aren't really interested in small jobs either.:(

That's a lot of work Reg! I'm sure you are enjoying every bit of it, and the results speak by themselves! Once finished you'll have a pretty good and powerfull tool there.

Thanks for posting such a thorough description.!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks Tony. Here are the pics of the last few days
Picture086.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Not a lot but I have neen makeing a few pieces for the powerfeed. I will post them as I put it back together. It's been a little hair pulling on makeing the parts for it and I was worried I couldn't fuigar out how to make the parts that weren't there :eek:. But putting it together and takeing it apart a "few" time I think I have it whiped now.

While I was takeing a break from the DP I make a friend a splitter for his Oliver 270

Picture088.jpg
. I have it on both mine so its just copy and send. The stainless polishes real nice instead of painting it Green
Reg

Very nice. Actually have a couple of drill presses in the school shop that are junk right now. Utilizing a rebuild like this would make them better than what I can afford to purchase, so looks like this summer will take them home one at a time and get them torn apart. Thanks for the motivation.

Nice John. Most of the time in a shop like that will be cleaning them up. This one came out of an old ball bearing plant and was "NASTY". The most of my time has really thinking through the powerfeed. I didn't have all the parts and one was broken. I have made the parts and hopefully have fuigared out how the powerfeed works. Here is the important part I just finished for the lever to engage the power feed gear
Picture091.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Just a few more days and she should be running
Reg

....I got the part installed...
Picture093.jpg

Picture095.jpg

since I didn't have all the parts I am hopeing this is how it works.
Picture098.jpg

and a shot of the finished main drill press

Picture103.jpg

A couple days left to fire it up
Reg

Cpl quick pics of the unit on the DP. I need a belt that supplys power to the unit. Odd size 23" So I will be trying to get one tomorrow.
Picture111.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Not sure I can get it. I have to do the composting talk at one of the greenhouses tomorrow. Getting time to think about your gardens :D

Reg

reg that pulley looks like a centrifical clutch system that opens wider or closes according tot he speed you set if so that belt may be availble in a snowmobile dealer or also some book stichers use that type of belt systen to adjust speed.. just a chance..