I need a circular saw. Any ideas?

Jim O'Dell

Hi all! Hope you had an enjoyable Christmas holiday.
I think I'm in the market for a new circular saw. I'd like to keep it around 100.00 or less. Not opposed to going refurbished. I picked up the PC 324 and a Bosch (didn't look at the model number-at Home Depot) and both of them felt good in the hand. I tried the Ridgid, but it has a lever that continually pokes the back of my hand. Anything else anyone would suggest? The Milwaukees are out of my price range, worm drives too and too heavy to boot. The nicer Skills might be ok, but haven't heard anything much about them, other than their worm drives. Need to drop by Lowes tomorrow and see if they have the Hitachi. There is one model with a brake for around 110.00. Makita didn't feel very good in my hand. Guess I could go look at the B&Ds...:rofl:. Sorry.
Seriously, any ideas would be helpful. Any specials you know about, rebates, coupons, etc would also be nice to know. Toolseeker didn't have much. Haven't found any Amazon specials today while poking around. A 25.00 off 150.00 might get me to go a little extra to a saw with a brake. TIA!! Jim.

Have not priced in a while but I can say I am extremely well pleased with my DeWalt. Had it probably 7+ years. It is heavy but I expect the newer ones to be lighter. But other than that no complaint.

One feature I really like is an adjustable shoe. That way if you use a cutting guide and the blade ever gets out of square with the shoe you can adjust it. That was why I tossed a B&D and bought my first good saw. The DeWalt. I learned of the out of square shoe after running a door with it! :mad:

I've got this little Makita

ready_to_cut.jpg

I've had it forever, sure is not a Festool but try as I might, I've not been able to kill it :D

Early morning Jim..

I'm going to join Allen on this with a PC. I have the old 324 I believe as I see they have host of various #'s now. Not having been in the market since I purchased the PC several years ago, I don't know what one has the other hasn't.

My old 1950's circa Shopmate is still running and has the best and straightest steel fence I've ever seen. I still use it outside on home projects, but the PC fit the ticket with power, base design and light-weigh for cutting down what full panels I do use. I mainly work with solid wood.

I purchased a left blade as I'm a right hander, but got it home and placed it on a sheet. I boxed it back up and took it back to Lowe's for exchange for right blade. The theory is good but the feel was wrong for me. After 35 years of wood whacking.. "feel" over-rode theory. ha.. ha...

Regards...

john t.. sarge

I have a Dewalt worm drive and have had it for over 5 years now without a lick of problems. I am pretty hard on mine too as I work exclusively with rough sawn lumber so mine has never seen anything under a one inch board.

While this is liable to stir the pot so to speak, I must say I accidentally bought my Left Hand Saw and even though I am right handed, would never buy another right handed saw again. Its nice to be able to look at the blade and the line without having the climb on top of the stupid thing to try to see where the thing is cutting. After about three uses, I got used to it and just love it.

The problem is, well this saw is probably over 100 bucks now and a bit heavy. Still it is built to last and I like that.

I'm a PC fan.
Still have the older PC framing saw. Can't seem to kill it

I'm quite pleased with the Makita. I picked it up a couple years ago for around $120 from Amazon, but I see it's gone up in price. Still a good deal though. Cuts straight as an arrow with no noticeable runout. But you can't go wrong with other quality makes like DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, P-C, etc. Look for one that has ball bearings - not the sleeve bearings found on the cheaper models.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi all! Hope you had an enjoyable Christmas holiday.
I think I'm in the market for a new circular saw. I'd like to keep it around 100.00 or less. Not opposed to going refurbished. I picked up the PC 324 and a Bosch (didn't look at the model number-at Home Depot) and both of them felt good in the hand. I tried the Ridgid, but it has a lever that continually pokes the back of my hand. Anything else anyone would suggest? The Milwaukees are out of my price range, worm drives too and too heavy to boot. The nicer Skills might be ok, but haven't heard anything much about them, other than their worm drives. Need to drop by Lowes tomorrow and see if they have the Hitachi. There is one model with a brake for around 110.00. Makita didn't feel very good in my hand. Guess I could go look at the B&Ds...:rofl:. Sorry.
Seriously, any ideas would be helpful. Any specials you know about, rebates, coupons, etc would also be nice to know. Toolseeker didn't have much. Haven't found any Amazon specials today while poking around. A 25.00 off 150.00 might get me to go a little extra to a saw with a brake. TIA!! Jim.

What is your circular saw usage going to be, would be the first question you should ask?
If its going to be heavy and very active then I would recommend a $100 saw, If its going to be an occasional use, or for just cutting sheet stock down to size then I recommend a lower end saw.
Why buy a Porshe if your only going to drive it to the super market.

Doug, I won't use it a whole lot. I've actually been thinking about trying to get by with the wobbling Craftsman for a little while longer, and put the money into finishing the lights for the shop. If I use a long, straight guide for an edge, I think I can make it work. If it doesn't and gets too maddening to break down the OSB, then I might go ahead and spring for one. I have found the PC 324Mag for 65.00 plus 20.00 shipping on E-bay. (reconditioned) Would still want to handle a Hitichi before I bought one. Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I appreciate it. Jim.

I still have the old craftsman that is on its last leg. I have been rather blue lately (Bosch) and been very happy with their other products. When I have looked, its been between the Bosch and PC. Let me know which way you go and what you think!

My vote is also for the PC. I have had it about 2 yrs now. I used it today on some 8/4 white oak this morning. It didn't even slow down
Reg

Morning Tod...

That's about the sleekest and cleanest Arkansas "razor-back" I've ever seen beside you in the picture! :>) If you happen down by Eureka Springs and the Clark and Wiliams planemakers shop.. tell Larry Williams Sarge said howdy. And if you see any old Arkansas black stones laying around loose there... well.. never mind! ha.. ha...

Too stay on topic...

Jim...

The Hitachi is not a bad circular at around $100 and if Lowe's still carries it and has a sale....... worth consideration? I caught a Hitachi SCMS for $229 when they closed out the non-laser several years ago and mounted mobile with a retractable extension mounted on a mobile base cabinet I built, has taken on the duty of all my cross-cutting and left the TS for ripping. I also have an Hitachi drill that will litterally shoot a sheet metal screw into about any hardwood I have attacked it with. Good customer service as there hdq. is about 8 miles from my house here in Metro Atlanta.

Regards...

JT.. sarge

Hi Jim. The crew that framed our house would only use Mikita circular saws. They claimed they were better than the Milwaukee's. They had the model with the little LED light that shined on the cut point for work before sunup and after sundown.