new router

Well, earlier today I think I broke my table router, a PC 8529. I was changing bits with the machine still in the table and somehow put the wrench on the wrong nut part and cracked the housing that holds the shaft lock button. I think the router will still be useable for two wrench bit changing, but definitely not for in table bit changing anymore. I haven't had the courage to fire it up and test my hypothesis.

Anyhow, I figured that I'd go to Home Depot and pay off the no interest deal on the Home Depot card due 01 Jan and also get a new router. My wife went with me to buy some cleaning supplies to put us over the $300 minimum for delayed interest. Somehow I had made an extra payment and not only did I not have to pay interest for the promo that expired in mid December (thought I missed the date by a couple days) but that the payoff amount for the 01 Jan promo expiry was $200 less than I thought was.

So I felt much better about getting a new router on the card for a new delayed interest promo. The selection was kind of sparse, but I went with the Ridgid 2.25 HP combo kit with fixed and plunge bases. The fixed base has above the table height adjustment and it looks like my PC above table height adjuster might have the same hex size to be used with it. The included above table height adjuster is just a funky looking inverse allen wrench (it has a female allen socket) while the PC unit has a zeroable height gauge. Having said this, I'll need to also check that one turn on the 8529 height adjust is the same height as one turn of the Ridgid to use that feature.

Anyhow, I'm not able to play with the new toy yet, as my back was spasming a bit and I took a make you drowsy muscle relaxant right when I got home. I've learned to not even do anything at all shop related when on drowsy meds - avoid the temptation of doing something with permanant bad consequences.

Well, I feel like I'm rambling, so you all have a good rest of the weekend!

Good luck with the new router! I've not heard much about it, but I like most of their tools ( I have 4). Anxious to hear how you like it.
If you decide to "do away" with the 8529, let me know. I might buy the speed control for the right price. Mine died and I've bypassed it so it only runs on full speed. They are no longer available from PC. So much for support. :huh: My other option is to get an external speed control. Jim.

Jim - I'll keep that in mind, but if it still fires up and is otherwise well I may end up putting it on the shelf as my dedicated handheld plunge unit. This brings me up to three routers counting the sick 8529. There's also a single speed 1 3/4 HP DeWalt 616 plunge / fixed combo - the plunge is dedicated for the EZ Smart base and I use the fixed mostly for the PC dovetail jig. Then there's the new Ridgid, whose fixed base will be put onto the table and left there for some time.

Yep, I kept my 8529 to run small bits like trim bits for laminate where full speed works best. I have a 7518 in the router table, and a free Hitachi still in the box. Fixed base. Wish it had been a plunge, but for free, I'll find a spot in the shop for it. :D Originally thought about selling it on the forums, and adding some to it to get the plunge model, but decided to keep it. Might end up mounting it in a plate for dedicated use on my multi tool bench. Time will tell. Jim.