Gifts...Gifts.... and more gifts

Joan Keeler

Hi everyone. :wave:
I haven't been able to keep up with all the new postings lately but now that xmas present making is over for this year I can sit back and enjoy what everyone else has been up to.

Some pics to let you know how I've been spending my time. Last xmas was my first year ever using any kind of tool and my first time making anything on the lathe. I stuck to making pens and basically only 7mm streamlines, trying different woods and adding differents shapes.

Well this xmas I branched out and tried my hand at several different projects. I made ice cream scoops and screwdrivers (kits brought from Rockler) and learned how to drill a blank on the lathe (not a pretty site). I actually broke my lathe in the progress :(, but thanks to Molly the manager at Rockler, she let me borrow the tail stock from their demo so I could finish up my presents. There are some awls, a salt and pepper shaker, two different types of pens that were new for me along with the stand by ones and two different types of bottle stoppers. The metal bottle stoppers were the newest type I tried. All new stuff for me.

The last ones were candle holders with seashells around them. An idea I got from the forum. I had help from grizzz who gave me the wood and rough cut out the circles and then my daughter helped me with the seashells and filling them with craft water.

Although I had many (i mean many) stumbling blocks along the way (I almost throw the towel, along with the lathe, out the window:rofl:) I pushed thru my frustrations with the encouragement from my friends and was able to complete all these projects.

Like always I would love comments, suggestions and ideas. Thanks for looking. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE :D

Attachments

• ice cream scoops screwdrivers and awl 2008.jpg
    ice cream scoops screwdrivers and awl 2008.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 82
  • bottle stoppers awl and salt.pepper shakers 2008.jpg
    bottle stoppers awl and salt.pepper shakers 2008.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 74
  • pens xams 2008.1.jpg
    pens xams 2008.1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 56
  • shell candle holders.1.jpg
    shell candle holders.1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 88
Thanks everyone for looking and for your comments.

I sort of winged the candle holders. They were trail and error. Use any kind of wood you want. First you rough cut a circle. The circle will depend on how big your candle is and how large your seashells are, and how many seashells you want in it. Then you put it on the lathe to make it round and turn a tenon. On the opposite end of the tenon you then use your drill press or drill it on the lathe with a forsner bit to make a hole in the middle. The smaller ones are big enough for a tea light candle and the larger one has the middle hole big enough for 3" candle (this one I actually had to turn as if I was making a bowl in the middle). After drilling the center hole put it back on the lathe and turn the "mote" (this is where the seashells go). Finish it off with sanding and your finish. Fill the mote with the seashells. I went to A.C. Moore (any craft store will sell it) and bought craft water (normally used in fake flower arrangements). I just poured the craft water over the shells to cover and bam, your done!

Hi everyone. :wave:

The last ones were candle holders with seashells around them. An idea I got from the forum. I had help from grizzz who gave me the wood and rough cut out the circles and then my daughter helped me with the seashells and filling them with craft water.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE :D

Hi Joan,
I like the candle holders... really cool idea... can I "borrow" the idea for future turnings at my place... I'm assuming the "craft water" is a resin casing material????

Hi Chuck,
Go right ahead and borrow the idea, I borrowed it from the forum to begin with...hehehehe. I am not sure what "resin casing material" is but I went to the local craft store and bought "craft water" normally used in artifical flower arrangements. There are several different brands. This one all you do is heat up and pour. I thought it would harden to a very hard substance but it turns into a very thick jelly like substance, that can be reheated if there are any flaws. ENJOY!!!! :thumb:

Hi Chuck,
Go right ahead and borrow the idea, I borrowed it from the forum to begin with...hehehehe. I am not sure what "resin casing material" is but I went to the local craft store and bought "craft water" normally used in artifical flower arrangements. There are several different brands. This one all you do is heat up and pour. I thought it would harden to a very hard substance but it turns into a very thick jelly like substance, that can be reheated if there are any flaws. ENJOY!!!! :thumb:

That was supposed to say "Resin Casting Material"... spell check is great if you put the right words in, a wrong word spelled right also gets checked. :type: