Wood Lathe List

Wow, a lot of info there :thumb:

May I suggest you add one piece of info?

I'd add if the lathe comes with a stand. My Nova DVR 3000 did not come with a stand, and thus looks VERY lightweight, compared to other lathes that do come with a heavy cast iron stand, but I do not know anyone with the Nova lathe, that has not build a stand of some sort, or bought the cast iron leg set that Nova now sells to bolt onto the DVR-XP and the 1624 lathes.

For example, the shipping weight of the Nova DVR-XP is just 200lbs, but the shipping weight of the JWL-1642EVS is 455 lbs.

The cast iron stand for the DVR-XP adds another 100lbs.

Just a thought :wave:

Neal,

Thanks for the great job and appreciate the time you spent and going to spend on this list. :thumb:
With all the suggestions, this may turn into a full time hobby. I want to say "job", but you are not being paid.:D

It's very minor and you may totally ignore me if you wish, but if this is a spreadsheet chart, you might want to do a "freeze pane" so your column headings stay in place... after they roll up, I run into a severe case of "out of sight - out of mind" or CRS (can't remember excrement) and have to keep going back up and down to see what a column heading is.. may be just me =:dunno:

Great suggestions, and thanks folks! This has kinda been a labor of love compiled a little at a time over several weeks. I've never seen such a list and was hoping someone might find it useful.

I would like to have added things like weight w/legs, reverse, etc but it was discouraging how poor some of the manufacturer's websites were at offering such information. There were times I found myself digging through manuals just to find MT, spindle size, etc. I did the best I could with the info available. Perhaps one of these days I'll spin back through the list and see if I can glean that type of data.

Frank, thanks for the tip on the new Griz. I checked and don't see ANY info on-line yet. It must only be listed in their new catalog. I'll add it as soon as it is available.

BTW, Chuck... your suggestion on the freeze frame was one I tried to find a way to do. I'm sure there are some Javascript or other solutions out there to show it as an embedded spreadsheet but I couldn't find a simple one that worked with all browsers. I don't want to exclude the Firefox or Mac Safari users.

If you (or anyone) are aware of something please let me know. The table-oriented view I did was a quick-and-dirty solution but not ideal. It auto-scales according to the user's browser width. Not the best solution for a wide table, especially as I add more columns.

Thank's for that project Neal. It's an excellent way to get some good information for someone needing start their own research for an upgrade.
Bravo Sir!! :congrats::clap::headbang::thumb:

First major update to the Wood Lathe Specifications list since January. Several new lathes have been added (and a couple dropped).

A few notable additions:
- 3 new Rikon lathes in the queue for Fall '09
- New "Sit-down" lathe is available from Vicmarc
- New Grizzly H2669 beauty (don't miss this one)

Bon appetit!

Last edited:
Chuck,

does HS = head stock? if it does my powermatic 3520B does not have a head stock that rotates.. as indicated on your chart.

Maybe it is just frozen...

Paul

Neal, Paul's correct. The headstock on the PM 3520 only slides...it doesn't rotate.

Also, the Wilton 99177 has a 3/4" x (I believe) 16 tpi spindle, and it's MT#1 on both the headstock and tailstock. It's actually not a bad little lathe for pens and bottle stoppers. I used mine still quite a bit as a small buffing station.