Pull Out SCMS Station.....?

Stuart Ablett

Well, as we wind down the year here, things have been really hectic, long hours, and busy too, which is good if you are in retail, like we are, but I'm thinking ahead here to January, when things slow down, and I'll get some time in on the Dungeon renovation so I can shoehorn the SawStop in place. One thing I'm going to do is move the jointer from under the main work table in the center of the workshop, to the West wall, it will reside under the SCMS station, which will be attached to the wall, and on a metal rack. The way things are going to work out, with the new SCMS, the Hitachi unit with the rails on the side, it will all be much closer to the wall, so if I want to cut anything on the SCMS that is of any length, I'll be running into Big Blue on the left, and the lathe on the right. To solve this problem, I'm contemplating a SCMS station that would slide out, away from the wall, say 12", maybe less, maybe more?

If any of you have something like this, or have a link to something like it, I'd really like to hear about it.

Cheers!

That sounds like a good inventive idea. Don't have anything to show you as my SCMS is on the portable aluminum stand DeWalt made and sold as an added benefit. A couple of 100# drawer slides? If the table on each side holds the weight of the wood? They would have to have some sort of stop or lock though for safety I would imagine. Glad to hear things were busy for you guys with your store.:thumb:

Thanks Jonathan!

Chuck, no room, are you kidding :D

I won a used version of the saw I want on Yahoo tonight.......

to1048to69-img600x450-1230149601ca390607.jpg to1048to69-img600x450-1230149653ca390609.jpg
I paid just under half price of a new unit.
This one has the worklight (which needs a new bulb) and the laser as well.

As you can see from the design, this unit can be put almost against the wall, which will give me another 10" of space in the middle of the workshop, which will be a VERY welcome addition to the shop :thumb:

C8FSE_slide_web.jpg
This is the old saw, it is a very good saw, but the extra space it takes up is rather dear, in the Dungeon.

I do not think that drawer slide are going to do it, they would have too much slop in them. I'm looking at something more robust. :dunno:

What is the height of the saw from the bottom of its base to the top of the highest point? Take that measurment and measure that distance from the wall, install a heavy duty pair of hinges, then the saw could be hinged up towards the wall and a board slid in the space left on the bench to make it useable space when not sawing? :dunno: Or just make it a slide in contraption and have many bench tools using this system and the one needed gets slid in place and used, the others on a vertical shelf system. :huh:

Or just make it a slide in contraption and have many bench tools using this system and the one needed gets slid in place and used, the others on a vertical shelf system. :huh:

I saw Norm on the New Yankee do this on his work counter. He made a cutout for his bench top mortiser. He then attached a piece of the counter top that was the same dimensions as the cutout to the base of the mortiser. He had a blank that would fill the hole when not in use and store the mortiser in the cabinet underneath.

Silly is good :thumb:

Take a look at >> THIS << thread.

I did pull these three pics for you.........

old_scms_station2.jpg
A basic drawing

dungeon_ts_placement_2a.jpg dungeon_ts_placement_1a.jpg
Two SketchUp views

Cheers!

Last edited:
A couple of 100# drawer slides? [...] They would have to have some sort of stop or lock though for safety I would imagine.

Jon, that answer just made Michael Butts of Fort Erie, Ontario a "Best Tip Prize Winner" in the February 2009 issue of Workbench magazine, which just arrived in the mail today. Check it out [HERE].

Stuart Ablett said:
I do not think that drawer slide are going to do it, they would have too much slop in them. I'm looking at something more robust.

I understand what Stu is saying ... but he must be more nit-picky than Workbench. :rofl:

Stu, more questions....how deep will the cabinet be that it rides on? Are you trying to store it as close to the wall as possible and pull it out and swing into position? (like the link [HERE] showed above? Might be able to use some heavy duty T-track for it to slide on, but I doubt that would be better than the drawer slides, except that you would be able to lock it in place to keep it from moving.
Something that would be ideal, if you have room under where it will reside, is if some heavy duty mixer brackets were available. Remember the ones that mounted in a lower cabinet, had springs on them to help with lifting the weight, and pulled up and out of the lower cabinet and locked in place to use? Haven't seen them in years. Probably not the most efficient use of lower cabinet space either, but would definitely clear off the counter space when not in use. Jim.

Thanks Kerry, I will certainly use that idea. I have been contemplating getting rid of my SCMS and now I will think again. Mine is the same reason Stu has. I am looking at space saving.:thumb:

Something that would be ideal, if you have room under where it will reside, is if some heavy duty mixer brackets were available. Remember the ones that mounted in a lower cabinet, had springs on them to help with lifting the weight, and pulled up and out of the lower cabinet and locked in place to use? Haven't seen them in years.
Like <THIS> ?

That's it!! Just not sure it would be heavy duty enough. Probably too much wiggle for an SCMS. BUT, if Stu could adapt the idea, and make something heavy duty.....I mean, the Phoenix did rise, didn't it? :thumb: What color did it get painted after all? :D Jim.

I'm envisioning a set of 4 supports, that attach to the wall, these would support the whole shebang. The top piece would be a torsion box type of thing (I'm thinking) with a spot in the middle for the saw. There would be a fence on both sides of the saw, with a sliding stop, like the Kreg set up etc. Under this saw station, the Jointer and the thickness planer would live. The SCMS would stay put, against the wall most of the time, only when I was cutting something longer than the space I have, would the whole thing pull out from the wall. The jointer would also pull out for use, and push back when not in use.

I got the saw today, I'm just about to head down to the Dungeon to unpack it, before heading to the salt mines for the last time this year :wave:

Stu you have spent more time unpacking new tools this past month than using them:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
You sir, are not incorrect :D

Chuck that means you'll have a better chance of Stu having to send YOU his snowman:D
I think I still got a chance :D

OK, I got the saw Today! :thumb:

it looks good, works fine, it is a bit dirty and slightly banged up, but for less than half the price, what the heck.
hitachi_c7rsh.JPG
There it is, and an unexpected bonus in the box.....

hitachi_c7rsh_gifts.JPG
A Max brand stapler and a blow gun :huh: :dunno:

We checked, it is not a mistake the guy included it as a present :thumb:

The both work well, the stapler is the same size as the other cheap on I have, honestly, it is knocked about a bit, but it works just fine....... BONUS :D

The Stapler is a little odd, it has no safety nose on it, not one for the kids to use........
stapler_tip_1.JPG stapler_tip_2.JPG stapler_tip_3.JPG

I turned the saw on, it works great, cuts like butter!

The laser left a lot to be desired.............
hitachi_c7shr_laser1.JPG
Not very clear, or bright :huh:
I figured out that the lens, or cover on the laser was really dirty and covered with stuff, so I took it off and cleaned it up with some plastic polish............

laser_lens_cleaned_up.jpg
Much better :D

I put the new saw on the old saw station, there is at least 11" of space behind the saw :headbang:
c7rsh_space1.JPG

In fact, with a tape measure on there, there maybe 12" :thumb:
space_behind_12_inches.JPG

Last edited:
After getting up rather late today (only day of the whole year the L shop is closed :rolleyes: ) I took my one daughter shopping for snow boots, as the girls are going skiing with some friends, then I went down to the Dungeon for the first time this year :thumb:

I got a good start on tearing out the old SCMS station, and I got a fair bit of time cutting up scrap wood on the new Hitachi C7RSH saw, boy does it cut wood! :D It is very smooth cutting, almost effortless, and that is with the blade that came with the saw, the blade is NOT new.

The old saw, the C8FB Hitachi, uses a larger blade, and it is thicker too, about 2.2mm, the new saw uses a smaller blade, and it is only 1.5mm thick. The old saw was a direct drive unit, the blade attaches to the motor shaft, and has an electric brake, the saw is fairly noisy. The new saw, the motor is up high, and connected to the blade via a gearbox, it is a LOT quieter than the old saw, and has no brake, but the gear box slow the blade very quickly, once power is turned off. I am really liking this saw :thumb:

new_scms_old_table_1.JPG new_scms_old_table_2.JPG
In these two pics, you can see the new saw on the old table, the saw is a working distance from the wall, so I'll gain all the space in front of the saw, with the new set up, and the jointer will go under the saw station, that extra space is priceless in my Dungeon.

scms_sta_jointer_spot_1.JPG scms_sta_jointer_spot_2.JPG
Here is the space all cleaned up, with the old saw station completely removed :thumb:

I'm going to be away for a couple of days, so that is all that will be done until I get back.

Cheers!