2 routers, a dilemma I never thought I'd have to deal with

So for Christmas I got a Milwaukee router 1 3/4hp from my parents, and a Milwaukee router 2 1/4hp from my sister. Both have a staionary base and a plunge base. The 1 3/4hp one came free with a saw so it is basically non-returnable. It is the 2 1/4hp one that I am stuck deciding what to do with. I opened them up and examined and they are virtually identical, just one has more hp. I am reeeeaaallllyyyy stuck on what to do here. I never thought in a million years I would have to chose something like this. I know that one day I will have more than one router (one table mounted, one free, different bits setup, etc), but I'm still pretty young and new to this stuff, so even though one of the routers came free, does it really make it worth keeping if I won't put them both to use right away? :dunno:

But the thing is, the one that I would have to return would be the 2 1/4hp one :huh: My question would be do you think the 1 3/4hp router would be tough enough? Like let's say I want to make some cabinet doors years down the road, would that router be able to handle something like oh lets say a raised panel bit?

And if I do take the 2 1/4hp back, I could use that money to get something like the Rigid spindle sander I've been eyeing up. Do you guys have any suggestions? Any pros/cons I should be looking at here? I'm sorry to throw this at you, this is all way over my head and I never thought I would be stuck with a decision of this magnitude. Anything you could recommend I'm all ears, thanks much everyone.

Two routers are better than one! ;) Over the years, I've accumulated three Bosch 1617's (2.25hp), a Hitachi M12V (3.25hp) and three trim routers. Yeah, OK -- so I can only use one at a time, but they come in handy when using several bits on a project.

I used one of my 1617 routers in a table and it handled panel-raising bits OK when I made some cabinet doors. The M12V is now in my table and is somewhat better at raising panels because of its power.

In your case, if you can't afford to keep both at this time or if you'd just like to convert the 2.25hp router into other equipment go for it. You will probably find you'd be happier with a 3hp class router in a table when you're ready to make some doors.

I'd agree with Rennie, but again, I've always gotten by with just one router (1 3/4 hp). I guess it would depend on what would make you more productive. I own the rigid oscilating sander and to me it's worth having.

Good Luck! :lurk:

Westley,

My vote is to keep them both. Put one in a table and use the other one freehand. Even though I personally own one router, I have access to several at the cabinet shop where I work and it's sure handy!!

cheers

John

build your self a table and use the bigger on it westly.. once you used a table you will wonder why you hadnt before... the other is hand held style like the others say.. the 2.25 is light for raised panels but could with light cuts.. i used a m12v like bill. and wished i had two of them

Ditto what they said, put one in a router table (likely choice would be the big one) and use the other for hand held. If the plunge base is comfortable to use, keep it in the plunge base all of the time, otherwise, keep it in the fixed base and only switch bases when you need to use it for plunge work.

Wes, I basically agree with what the others have said, but with a slight twist.;) I think the 1 3/4 hp would be ideal to use for the hand held applications, so keep it, but the 2 1/4 hp, (although it would work for the router table), it would be a little light for longterm use in the table when you DO need to swing the larger panel raising bits. So my suggestion would be to add a little of your own money, (if you can fit it into your budget) and trade the 2 1/4 hp for a router in the 3 + hp class to put into your router table. That combination should take care of ANY router work you would want to do for a LONG Time, Annnnnnd....make a router table your NEXT project, (you will be glad you did).:D

PS; Sounds like you've got a GREAT Sister.:thumb:

Doesn't the larger router have variable speed? The bases should all be interchangeable so you have a lot of options. I use the 5615 for small bits as it is fixed speed. This one works well for edge profiling that is too aggressive for my Colt. The body grip is great for control although a D-handle is available if you prefer.

The 5616, I use for plunge work and larger bit work where adjusting the speed is important. The plunge base is smoother than many plunge only routers I have tried. I find I hardly ever move the 5616 to the fixed base any more.

So there you have it' keep them both and buy a 5625 for your router table. If necessary, I would sell the smaller unit and put the money towards a 3+ HP unit for the table.

Attachments

• The-Mil-Crew.jpg
    The-Mil-Crew.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
As a fellow newbie, I'd keep both. Why return one when you already know you're going to get another router down the road? Just save yourself the hassle and keep it now...

...or I could PM you my address and "resolve" the dilemma for ya ;):rofl:

I only have 1 router, wish I had 2. Follow the advise of all the others :thumb:
Quite time consuming taking the router off the table and setting up for hand usage, the back again :doh: a real pain.

tom

.................or I could PM you my address and "resolve" the dilemma for ya ;):rofl:

Now come on Tom, don't you think he would rather enter the world of international shipping :D :thumb:

I'd keep both, or go with Norman's suggestions and trade the 2 1/4 HP unit for a 3 1/4 HP unit for a table. Trust us, once you use a table mounted router, you will really like it, and your table does not have to be some huge stand along cabinet (yet) it can be something that you mount temporarily on the bench with some clamps, and then hang on the wall when not in use.

Nice to see your family getting you what you want for Christmas! :wave:

Wes...

Over the years I've acquired a few routers. Gave a couple away, threw one away, and currently have a 3hp PC in a table, one plunger, and 2 fixed base. A Bosch Colt is on my list. The one in the table stays in the table. I reach for one (or two) of the others depending on what I'm doing. I agree with Rennie. Don't agonize over what to do with them...put them on the tool shelf. You may use them only occasionally, but when it's what you need, it's what you need.

Cheers.

I just bought my third router. Two are fixed / plunge combos, so 5 base choices. Started with a PC 8529 2.25 HP, variable speed plunge (not a combo). Then got a DeWalt 616 1.75 HP single speed combo as part of the EZ Smart router kit I bought from a friend. The plunge base is fitted to the EZ Smart system and since it is single speed I use the fixed base for my PC dovetail jig. Lastly, I cracked the spindle lock button housing on my 8529 recently making it a two wrench only unit. I just picked up the 2.25 variable speed Ridgid fixed / plunge combo. This one has the fixed base with the above table height adjust, so I'm putting that in the table.

As is typical of my life in general, I started woodworking pretty much backwards from most folks and other than cutting and rabbetting (rebating, Rennie :D ) the hole for my Rousseau insert did mostly router table work with the PC 8529. I can't quite call the EZ system "freehand" and I'm trying to think of when I've ever used a router free hand - touching up a rabbet in an assembled piece that I couldn't get the EZ Smart setup to get to and mounting my Rousseau insert may be the only two times I've done freehand router work.

Your question boils down to is a 2.25 HP router more valuable than the Ridgid oscillating belt / spindle sander. I have both (multiple routers and the sander). I bought the spindle sander to get to the next higher tier of a buy $X get $Y giftcard back deal a few years ago. It is a really nice sander. I don't know that I use it more than multiple routers, but there are projects that I would not have done / thought to do without having it. Tough call.

Some folks suggest skipping the 2.25 HP class router and going straight to 3.5 HP. Here is a place where you can get either a Freud or Hitachi reconditioned router for under $150 for either. I haven't dealt with these folks or either Freud or Hitachi routers.

Making a decision between tool X and tool Y is never easy. Personally I would keep both routers, make a router table for the 2.25 HP router (as an added benefit then you only need to make a home for one of the 2.25 HP bases - leave the other and the motor right in the router table) and then make a gift for set of gift givers that requires router work - enclose a note to the effect of "I made this with the tool you bought for me." Then just put the sander back on your regular tool budget schedule.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and don't stress over the choice too much - no matter what you'll decide there will be days you'll be happy with the choice and days you'll kick yourself over it. :rofl:

Doesn't the larger router have variable speed?

Yes....and VS is the biggest reason to keep both, or at least the larger 5616. It's an important feature for table use, and in a table is among the safest, most accurate, and most versatile ways to use a router. I'd keep both, but if necessary, you could probably sell the 5615 in the $75 -$100 range on Ebay, wwing classifieds, or on Craigslist.

Congrats!