2 routers, a dilemma I never thought I'd have to deal with

Heed what the others have said.
But, as a young married man, you must also learn to apply the principal that boys can never have too many toys. :thumb:

Don't kill him off yet Frank; he has a girlfriend, not a wife... :rofl:

Yes that is correct I am NOT married ;) Thanks for pointing that out Frank :thumb: Sorry if I have confused anyone into thinking she's my wife :) Don't get me wrong... she will be (if she actually says yes! ;)) Just have a couple years before that happens. I'll keep you guys updated, you can count on that!

PS; Sounds like you've got a GREAT Sister.:thumb:

...yes I SURELY have a great sister... TWO great sisters! Pretty close family here, and they have been more than I could ever ask for, love them very much.

It seems that pretty much all, ok 100% of you are saying keep the 2 routers. Now I'm not just basing my decision off of this forum but you guys have definitely persuaded me :) I think I will go with both routers and I have already considered making a router table the next project. I'll end up dropping the 2.25hp in the table and keep the other one for freehand work. Thanks for helping me make my decision easier!

Hi! Longtime lurker and first (or second) time poster here.

Absolutely, definitely, without a doubt... KEEP both routers. Put the bigger one in a router table and forget about it. 2-1/4hp is plenty big enough for most operations.

Not sure what kind of tablesaw you have, but I replaced an extension wing in my RIDGID tablesaw with one of these cast-iron beauties....

http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1231160703&sr=8-1

I now keep a 2-1/4hp router mounted in there all the time. Nice not having to think about mounting a router in the table every time I want to use it.

Jason

So for Christmas I got a Milwaukee router 1 3/4hp from my parents, and a Milwaukee router 2 1/4hp from my sister. Both have a staionary base and a plunge base. The 1 3/4hp one came free with a saw so it is basically non-returnable. It is the 2 1/4hp one that I am stuck deciding what to do with. I opened them up and examined and they are virtually identical, just one has more hp. I am reeeeaaallllyyyy stuck on what to do here. I never thought in a million years I would have to chose something like this. I know that one day I will have more than one router (one table mounted, one free, different bits setup, etc), but I'm still pretty young and new to this stuff, so even though one of the routers came free, does it really make it worth keeping if I won't put them both to use right away? :dunno:

But the thing is, the one that I would have to return would be the 2 1/4hp one :huh: My question would be do you think the 1 3/4hp router would be tough enough? Like let's say I want to make some cabinet doors years down the road, would that router be able to handle something like oh lets say a raised panel bit?

And if I do take the 2 1/4hp back, I could use that money to get something like the Rigid spindle sander I've been eyeing up. Do you guys have any suggestions? Any pros/cons I should be looking at here? I'm sorry to throw this at you, this is all way over my head and I never thought I would be stuck with a decision of this magnitude. Anything you could recommend I'm all ears, thanks much everyone.

I agree with keeping both routers but I also think that despite the larger size, the 2.25 is much better as a hand router than the 1.75. I've owned both and sold the 1.75 and replaced it with a pair of the 5616's. It is a bit heavier but the soft start, at least for me, makes for a safer routing experience. I have six routers and all of them are soft start and I didn't feel right with the jerky start of the 5615.

By the way, none of my routers have as soft or smooth of a start as my OF1400.....and I'm thinking of adding the OF1010 before the price increase :)