Auction find

Jeff Horton

Went to an auction recently. I didn't really know anything about this when I found it. I had been wanting a disk sander for a while and saw this edge sander among a bunch of Powermatic tools and though it would be a handy item if it didn't go to high. To my surprise it stalled at about $25 so I started bidding. I ended up buying it for $35 ...well $41 after all the fee's. I felt it was well worth that much for the 3/4 hp Dayton motor on it if nothing else. Plus I knew it would very handy in the shop. The tables are in sad shape but otherwise it's in good shape.

sander.jpgsander2.jpg

After I got it home I found out I had a desirable and pricey ACME sander. Because of the paint on it I couldn't even read the name tag. Found one of the fellows on OWWM had one that was basically worn out and sold it for $100. $250 up was considered a fair price for a used one. Seems I did a lot better than I realized at the time.

After finding that out I decided to tear this one apart and clean and repaint it. :)

Last edited:
Well Jeff it looks like you are up to your usual self buying what looks like a sows ear & turning it into a silk purse.:thumb:

Next time before you go out to fall in it & come up smelling like a rose please call me so I can tag along & see how it done.:rofl:

Next time before you go out to fall in it & come up smelling like a rose please call me so I can tag along & see how it done.:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :)

Well I am still kicking myself for not buying several machines that day. First auction I have ever seen things go that cheap. :doh:

OK Bart, here is your heads up! I am going Friday to Chattanooga to look at and hopefully buy a Queen City pedestal grinder. 150 to 200 pound cast iron industrial model! :D This is what I think I am going to see.

28_1.JPG

He also has a Handcraft(?) jointer and a "Craftman compressor of some kind" with it. I want the grinder and the rest is just a bonus (or scrap iron!). We won't talk about his asking price. ;) I have to leave by 9AM so don't be late!