Router Table + Insert

Bruce Niceley

I would like to purchase the Woodpecker Router table that is on sale for $199 @ Amazon

Rockler also has a sale on (MD) Inserts for Craftsman "Standard" routers for $39.99.
Problem is Rockle insert will not fit the Woodpecker table.

Would anyone know a compatible insert I can buy that will fit-up to this configuration?

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,

Bruce N.

Bruce, you are experiencing what many do when building a router table a-la carte. This is not a bad thing, it just takes a little more research. I notice Rockler states that their "Craftsman Standard" plate also fits the DeWalt 621. IF these are the same holes, then Woodpecker offers their aluminum plate drilled for a 621 as well.

Folks who sell router tables, plates, lifts, etc. deal with these questions all the time. Call Woodpecker and tell them the model of your router and ask what plate fits it. The Rockler plate a $40 is a great deal but this is a decision you will live with for a long time; don't save a few bucks and go with an incorrect plate just because it is on sale.

Learn from others pain and suffering. I have only had aluminum plates; that's just how it worked out, not because I was smart. I have NEVER had a problem with a plate; you will find many posts on problems with acrylics, phenolic and other non-metallic plates on this and other forums.

Just trying to save you form having to buy . . . again. Good luck and enjoy the quest!

Glenn is very correct about the advantage of aluminum plates over phenolic, but maybe at this stage instead of spending the extra for an aluminum plate, put aside that difference for a future router lift, unless you can afford to go whole hog right now. I used a phenolic plate for many years and was able to work with it. I just think saving money now so that you can ultimately get a router lift may be something to consider. A lift really does make life easier, but is not absolutely needed. Sometimes we need to take baby steps to get where we want to go. Just having a router in a table is a giant step forward.

Bruce, I saw that Woodpecker had a special going that includes a table stand and router switch. It also suggests extra savings if you include a plate or lift.

RT2432 Router Table Package
$399.95 $299.99 Sale!
2432PK1

Includes 24 x 32 Router Table, Router Table Stand, Wheel Kit, Dust Collection Cabinet and Router Table Switch. SAVE $134.80! Add Plate or Lift for special price at checkout. LIMITED TIME OFFER!

I use a phenolic* plate - other than the rather strong ammonia smell observed when drilling holes in it, all remains well.

* Mine is a Rousseau insert - it feels like a plastic, so I'm assuming phenolic but might be some other plastic. It didn't come predrilled for any router at all.