Porter Cable 890 Router Collets

Kevin Reid

I purchased a new router and none of my 1/4" router bits will fit in the 1/4" collet. Has anyone else had this problem? I have ordered a new 1/4" collet and a new 3/8" collet to see if there is any difference.

As in, they won't tighten or they won't go in in the first place? I had a DW618 that I had to force 1/4" bits into. I ended up getting a different brand but I have had the experience.

Kevin I just picked up the 890 the other day and after reading this post I had to go and check mine and there is no problem with my 1/4 inch bits with the collet. Sorry wish that I had better news for you in that I had the same problem. :huh::dunno:

Kevin,

I had the exact same problem on my 690. The 1/4" collet wouldn't take a 1/4" bit no matter what I did. I was advised to try and knock one in there to spread it out a bit so it would take one. All I did was booger up my bit and break the collet trying to get it out. Good call on getting a new one...it's bound to be easier to deal with.

I think there is some kind of problem in the manufacturing of their 1/4" collets, if they're the same that is.