A few more peppermills...

Ted Calver

Staff member
...that will be belated christmas gifts. All crush grind mechanisms. Left to right--Maple burl with blood wood accent, Waterlox finish;spalted apple, Watco'd and buffed and walnut, also Watco'd and buffed. Still working on proportions. Fortunately, folks are happy to overlook the design imperfections as long as it grinds pepper--when it's a hand made gift. :)

Attachments

• Pepper-3-s.jpg
    Pepper-3-s.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 48
  • Pepper-4-s.jpg
    Pepper-4-s.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Pepper-5.jpg
    Pepper-5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 39
Very nice, and a good variety of shapes. The first one reminds me of a lighthouse (great choice of shape for the wood :thumb:) and I really like the "classic" lines on the last one.

...that will be belated christmas gifts. All crush grind mechanisms. Left to right--Maple burl with blood wood accent, Waterlox finish;spalted apple, Watco'd and buffed and walnut, also Watco'd and buffed. Still working on proportions. Fortunately, folks are happy to overlook the design imperfections as long as it grinds pepper--when it's a hand made gift. :)

Ted, You mention "design imperfections" I dont see any. Your work looks very good to me. What would you change?

Rich,
I had originally intended the top on the maple one to be a continuation of the tapered base, but I screwed it up and ended up with a cylindrical top that seems a little too small. Also, I glued the blood wood accents on without considering the grain, so it's an end grain to long grain glue up, with grain direction mismatch. I'm hoping in a piece this small this won't matter.
To me, the walnut one is a little top heavy and I wish I had made the base a little wider or the top a little smaller. Same for the apple one, needs a little taper to the overall shape and therefore, a smaller top. Seems to me that a tall cylindrical utilitarian object should look stable rather than tippy. Just my personal preferences.

Last edited:

I would say you have the proportions worked out fine... I like the maple burl with the bloodwood accent. I'm partial to the crush/grind mechanism because of the ease of design... I don't have to be so precise in my measurements - especially since I am sorta measurementally - or is that mentally - challenged anyway.

Beautiful mills all around.. know your friends/family will enjoy for years to come.