Juvenile Joinery: Back Rest

Kerry Burton

In the spirit of [Toni's recent "sermon" on SHARING] ... here goes nothin'. :eek:

My wife has been asking for something that would make it more comfortable for her to read & write in bed. We have a very simple waterbed frame with a (pair of) Select Comfort air mattress(es). The somewhat-attached headboard has room for a row of books (or whatever) but it's not comfortable to lean against.

I'd been thinking about what I could do ('cause I really stink at flatwork at this point), and I finally started working on a back rest on Christmas Day. My wife didn't know what I was up to until I offered her a "preview of her surprise". (I asked her to test drive the back rest while it was still in 3 pieces and give me feedback on the angles, etc.) She was pleasantly surprised, and "approved" the design, so I persevered.

Anyway, here it is so far. The "backboard" is about 16" x 22", and the lean angles are 35 degrees and 55 degrees.

A590_0018_BackRest_Shallow.jpg

A590_0017_BackRest_Steep.jpg

A590_0019_BackRest_Underside.jpg

It was a nice follow-up to our Amazon.com, pick-from-my-wish-list-and-I'll-pick-from-yours gift exchange. She has used it a few times, and says she really likes it. Who am I to tell her about the missed opportunity for half lap joints and something better than hardboard? :dunno: At least I did a 1/8" roundover on (almost) all edges with my Colt, and sanded things up nice.

She did ask me to add a "handle" to make it easier to pick up ... something like an oval hole near each end of the backboard. Gotta remember to do that....

Now run to the fabric store and get some foam and fabric and make her a nice cushion to go with it.;) This whould earn you a few brownie points.

Im beginning to believe many have lost sight of the rewards of being able to create thing out of wood with our own hands.
Building and creating fantastic things for our families is very important to me, as Im sure others.
Its a great idea, and your wife likes it, congratulations.
Invite me over if shes going to whip up some sausage and peppers, Ill share in the victory dinner.
It looks good, and does the right job. Very nice.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Now run to the fabric store and get some foam and fabric and make her a nice cushion to go with it.;) This whould earn you a few brownie points.

Yeah, I've been noodling along those lines. It wouldn't make sense to attach fabric to the hardboard, but I guess I could wrap it around and staple(?) it to the supports.

or fresh BROWNIES:D

Mmmm. Brownies!

Invite me over if shes going to whip up some sausage and peppers, Ill share in the victory dinner.

Actually, I made dinner tonight. 5-mile roundtrip to Burger King!

btw, the utes are in some battle right now with the Tide.

I don't follow sports much these days. But if I did, I'd feel obliged to snub the red-outfit team from Salt Lake in favor of the blue-outfit team from Provo (BYU). Still, you gotta hand it to the Utes. Undefeated? That's cool!

Hi Kerry.
These are the most rewarding projects of all, those that we make for the loved ones.

I second the idea of the handles and the cushion, maybe it is your time to try upholstering:):thumb:

Iwould grab a chunk of foam and staple th fabric or it. These are the best projects. Ones for the family that do not need to be fancy.