prototype quilt rack

Bill Simpson

Been considering a design for a Quilt rack, Not yet finished or color chosen or completely assembled but here is today's doing...

P1040557.jpg

P1040558.jpg

Southern Yellow Pine with 1" Dowels
What do you think? So far?

I like it. One of these is on LOML's list. I'll have to make sure she doesn't see this. I'm also a big fan of proto types although I generally build them out of old pallets and such; suitable only for firewood once their job is done ;-) Your's is a keeper.

That's very nice. I also have one of those in my future. My wife's quilting club has a raffle every year and I'm planning on donating a quilt rack for next years drawing.

Looks great!, :thumb::thumb: I look forward to see it finished!

The only change i would make would be to make the legs thinner in the center with a very big radius curve so that the curves from the heart shaped top would flow all the way down to the feet in a continuous curve, like in the attached sketch, the so vertical and parallel lines somewhat disturb me a bit.

Maybe this is because i love curves and curvy shapes, so my opinion is biased for sure...:dunno:

Attachments

• heart01.jpg
    heart01.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 32
Thanks, I made a bunch of these several years ago, sold a few and gifted the rest. Ever sinse, I had the idea and just got my round to it in gear.

P1050007.jpg
P1050006.jpg

Used the same pattern for the Heart top and Heart shaped base.

Also have a plan in my skull fur a wall unit to display several quilts. Will have to get it on paper and into reality soon.

Toni, I too like the continuing curves as you discribe, but there has to be a point where labor intensive design is offset by the low price these items collect as the market is flooded by Cheap versions.

Toni, I too like the continuing curves as you discribe, but there has to be a point where labor intensive design is offset by the low price these items collect as the market is flooded by Cheap versions.

Sorry I misunderstood the whole thing,I wasn't aware that those were to sell.What you say makes sense.

Ah but Bill I think Toni has a good point here for you. The differentiation created by the continuous curves would put your stand in a class of its own and make it more desirable. Think about it. Toni's curves in his drawing make a great design, not that much more effort. But sure would add to the eye candy value. Just a though. Having been in Spain I know why Toni likes curves I think it has something to do with that Mediteranean blood in him.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Toni has a great point and I too like the flowing idea (although I have grown used to the fact that graceful Mediteranean curves are thing of the past) but you must remember that these are not achieving a grand Craftsmanship price anymore and I want to keep to a Nominal sized lumber material, (I own a stack of 2x10s) and only a few will be willing to pay for craftsmanship whilst others will search for the bargain.

I do not normally craft for sales but my M-I-L does some Needle work as well as set up in a flea market. She is going to set up in a "Crafts only" fair this summer and has limited "goodies" to peddle. SWMBO said I should make a few of my "Stuff" and help her amass a good showing. Her Afgans and my stands should do her sells well and may help her expenses. I have done this in the past and expect no returns on my investment but the pride in selling all that I make. She, and her sister, reaps the benefit for the sales. What I get in return is calls and referrals (I attach a card) which I convert into a better investment.

Last edited: