One more Curlie Maple box

Tom Niemi

Staff member
and that is it for me :eek: Hope I am not boring you all but I just love curlie maple. This is a candy box for my youngest brother and wife. Top has walnut in the center. This is also my first box with hinges, those are a pain, need lots more practice to get them right.

Thanks for looking

Tom

Attachments

• Tim & Sheri's Box 001 (800 x 600).jpg
    Tim & Sheri's Box 001 (800 x 600).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Tim & Sheri's Box 003 (800 x 600).jpg
    Tim & Sheri's Box 003 (800 x 600).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Tim & Sheri's Box 005 (800 x 600).jpg
    Tim & Sheri's Box 005 (800 x 600).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 83
  • Tim & Sheri's Box 006 (800 x 600).jpg
    Tim & Sheri's Box 006 (800 x 600).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 116
Not boring at all! I like the curly maple, too.

I really like the walnut accent piece in this one. It really sets off both itself, and the nice figuring in the maple.

I know what you mean about hinges, too. I really hate to use them sometimes. You spend a lot of time and effort to make a nearly perfect box, then a minor misfit on the hinges messes it up - Arrgh! One thing I have learned, though is that the better quality (read: expensive) hinges - cast or forged, not stamped - are actually easier to fit than the cheaper ones.

Thanks for the nice comments :wave: Jim, yes these are the cheeper stamped hinges, big hassel. I have made one more box (yes just one) for the LOML that I am using solid brass jewlery box hinges (lots more $$$) but I think as you said they sholud be easier to work with. Will post soon. Its more of a mission design and so far I really like it (She does :D). Al, the finish is 2 coats of tung oil finish with a coat of johnsons wax.

Tom

That box is simply great Tom.
I like very much, and the combination of to woods and the decorative use of the knot on the lid.
Congratulations!! and please bore us more with curly maple things:):thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks Royall, I'm sure hinges will come...eventually

Toni, thanks also, only one more box to build, and that one will not be shown until after Jan 31 (box swap:D) I used my family to gift these first practice boxes, and now the FWW family gets the next one :D. I kept a few tricks up my sleeve not shown yet