Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Stand?

Aquarium Stand?

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone has a good plan for a simple and quick aquarium stand? My son is buying a 29 gallon high tank (29H I think it's called), and wants something that we can do before he goes home after Christmas break . Do you know of any websites I could use? Thanks in advance for any help you can lend!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Google turned up a bunch of plans.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...aquarium+stand
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, thanks for the reply. My son and I went through the majority of sites listed in your search, however we are still looking for a simple 29H stand. The ones listed didn't always have very detailed plans. The search continues....

I have never seen any detailed plans for a good stand*. Best bet is find something you like and alter the dimension to suit. There are really only two critical factors in a stand.
    • The top must be flat! (Unless you like water on the floor)
    • The stand can't rack or twist.

Other than those two there is not much else to worry about.

* Good meaning not built from 2x4's to support the weight

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I have never seen any detailed plans for a good stand*. Best bet is find something you like and alter the dimension to suit. There are really only two critical factors in a stand.
    • The top must be flat! (Unless you like water on the floor)
    • The stand can't rack or twist.

Other than those two there is not much else to worry about.

* Good meaning not built from 2x4's to support the weight
    Thanks Jeff, but what do you mean by "Good meaning not built from 2x4's to support the weight."? Almost all the plans I've seen so far list 2x4's as the main ingredient for the grid that supports the top and bottom (like joists under a floor), then it gives various methods of enclosing the 2x4 frame. Do you mean I should go heavier (4x4's)? Thanks.

Not a plan but this linky has a few pics of the stand I made for my 75g tank. It is made with 3/4" material, frame and panel. That will be plenty strong for your tank size.

Jim

Sorry Tom, I just get so annoyed at the 2x4's. I should have explained, they are WAY overkill! Frame and panel (Like Jims), 1/2 plywood box, etc are strong enough to support a car. So don't stress over that part. Just build a good rigid box and you will be fine. As long as it doesn't rack, that is the only real concern. Any movement and it could fail. Compress failure from the weight of the tank is not an issue. Look at any commercial stand and you will see than are very light weight construction. Never seen a 2x in one.

I have plans for a 120 gallon that will be open on 3 sides as a room divider. The stand has to look good as it is focal point. It will most likely be frame and panel construction. Haven't really sat down to design it. But IT WILL NOT have a 2x4 frame, that I am sure of.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

So Jeff...how do you feel about using 2x4s for the frame? [ducks and runs...]

Tom, are you looking for something that looks nice, or something quick and rugged for a college dorm room?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    So Jeff...how do you feel about using 2x4s for the frame? [ducks and runs...]

Tom, are you looking for something that looks nice, or something quick and rugged for a college dorm room?
    Been there and done that

Like Jeff and others are saying, if you build it out of 1/2" plywood and have a solid top, bottom sides and back, with something like a face frame on the front, just to make the doors easier to hang, and to cover the edges of the plywood, you will be plenty strong. If you are REALLY concerned, (after all, 29 gallons of water would make a mess) then put a center panel in side the is basically a third side, but in the middle, that way you could put shelves on one side and a large open space on the other.

I think you will get the best support for the unit if you build it so the sides of the tank sit almost directly above the sides of the cabinet, but it can also be a bit wider and you can put an edging on it to cover up the bottom corner of the tank.

Good luck, take pics, we will be waiting to see what you come up with.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

more tank suggestions

28 gallon tank will weigh in at...
    .280 pounds of water, gravel or whatever other substrate, and the aquarium itself...
    so about 400 pounds

Oh and if it falls over you will have about 13mm of water covering the entire floor of a 10' x 10' room...thats if the room doesn't leak (and it will)

I have built a few myself (from crude to pretty) and here are a few extra suggestions.

A basic box like Stuart is suggesting will work great...it will give you some storage space underneath. You can also build a matching cover for the top if you have the time.

Note that Jim's 75 gallon tank stand sits directly on the floor...just think what that whole unit must weigh? Don't put legs under it...that way the weight is distributed over the entire area not just 4 small points.

And I left a space out of the back at the height of the wall sockets...often you locate the tank infront of a wall socket so you can hide all the wires in the bottom box. And once you set it in place it is very hard (and risky) to move if it is full of water. So that way if you have to place the stand in front of a socket ( or telephone or cable outlet) you can still access the socket.

Good luck
    Last edited by Todd Ablett; 12-28-2006 at 10:43 AM.