Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Table Saws .......

Mini Table Saws .......

My buddy builds and flies RC planes, he is seriously looking at a Mini Table saw, particularly the German made Proxxon (also sold as MICROLUX in USA, http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4905 ).

It seems to be the only one out there we can find, anyone aware of another model or brand to choose from ??

Tony, BCE '75

-dremel used to make one , I found this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-4-TABLE-SA...QQcmdZViewItem

I had one in the 80's , it was pretty useful

(wifey was proud of herself and bought it for me for our fist Christmas , thinking I really wanted it ..I didn't but kept and used it form time it time )

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    While I'm not a HF fan here is one they have for $50 and it uses 4" baldes which I know you can get from the borg.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93211
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Skip, I'll forward the link to him so he can check it out. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Don, he saw the one at HF but we really didn't take it seriously, he is looking to do precision work -- the angles on the wings, tail and other parts are pretty critical for a well balanced good flying plane. There is a guy in Orlando FL who builds a small saw, ( http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html ) but as far as we can tell it does not have a tilting arbor or table. He is going to contact the man to find out if it does tilt, or if can make one that tilts.

We didn't think that there was much available in Mini Saws, but I thought I'd run it by ya'all -- never can tell.

Tony, BCE '75

tony, is there a reason your friend couldn`t use a sliding miter saw for his plane projects? they`re available most places and would serve two purposes...just thinkin` out loud.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

He uses 1/8 plywood (high quality craft ply), Balsa wood, and special types of foam made and used for model planes. Weight is an issue, it has to be light. He needs something with a lot of finesse, a sliding miter saw is to big to serve his needs. Some of the parts he makes are very small, I've tried to cut some for him but it gets difficult and dangerous on our machines. The blades, teeth and speeds we use sometimes chews up the materials.

The only alternative we've thought of is a scroll saw, but it has several pitfalls for what he's doing. If the Byrnes model can be made to tilt, he's going that direction, If not he'll get the Proxxon unless he can find another choice.

Tony, BCE '75

From comments I have seen on other forums, the mini table saws are jokes when it comes to cutting. Grossly underpowered.
    I have a good friend who builds large rc airplanes, probably 20-30 a year. He does it all kneeling on his garage floor, no workbench. No saw. I think he cuts everything with a knife.

Would a small, benchtop band saw work? For straight cuts, he could use the miter gauge. I used to have a cheap 8" Ryobi, which was worthless for wood of any substantial thickness, but worked quite well for the thin stuff. Just another thought.

Cheers,

Kevin

Tony my Dear old dad is an RC model guy and he has a B&D little band saw, powered by a hand drill

He swears by it, with the stuff he cuts, he says the only thing he does not like is the noise the drill makes.

Other guys in his group all have small band saws, with a sharp thin blade, and a VERY thin kerf, they do well on the model stuff, the table tilts and it has a small miter thing, so he can do compund cuts too.

No pics in this thread yet.........

Grampa, my sister, and my two girls a few years ago with one of his planes, he has been flying RC since I was born, which is over 40 years ago.

I did a bit of digging and I found a newer version of what he has, it is a
    Black & Decker 7-1/2" Power Band Saw

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	2601
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	2602

For him it is great.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hey Stu, our fathers sound alot alike, must be that Canadian thing!

My Dad builds 1/4 scale, Big Birds. His current project (6 years now) has a wing span of over 12'. He was going to use weed trimmer motors (2) but has changed his mind and is now looking for electric motors. The main body was so large we thought for awhile that he was building a canoe for the grandchildren!

To bring this into context, he is still cutting all of his wood material with a straight edge and knife. Not much wood in his craft though as an ex aircraft sheetmetal man they are mostly metal. It was interesting watching him spin the cowling out of aluminum on a home built lathe like machine. Process much like I've seen copper bowls spun at varioius shows.

Doug