tabs/slideshow in SU

Aaron Beaver

Question: In the attached SU you can see a very rough plan of our plant. I made each segment a component and named it the year it was added.

What I want to know is can you make tabs or slideshow where you go from past to present? That way I can go from one to the other and show the additions. I also have buildings across the street that fall in between some of these main buildings but I will start with this for now.

In the conference room, we have a great arial photo that I would love to import and be able to "trace" around the building to give it more realistic look. Actually we have arial photos for a lot of years 1930, 1940, 1946?, 1956 & 1996.

Thanks
Aaron

Attachments

• Builder Steel.skp
    30.6 KB · Views: 9
Done! In a nutshell:

Create layers. One for each year.
Open the Entity Info box.
Select the components one at a time and change their layer assignment to match the year.
Uncheck all layers except Layer 0 and the layer called "1927".
Add a scene.
Turn on the layer called "1929".
Add a scene.
Repeat for each addition to the building.

Now, you could go to Google Earth and import the view of the building site. Place the components in the right location and update the scenes as need for the view and you'd be all set.

Attachments

• BuilderSteel.skp
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
I just sent you an e-mail at your everst address.

To import a GE image, turn on the Google toolbar. Set the view in GE as desired. Straight down is fine. Then click the Get Google Earth image button in SketchUp.

Your building weren't oriented to north correctly but that was easy enough to fix once the image was imported. The cool thing is that after you finish setting up your model in SU, you can dump it back to GE and orbit around there and stuff. The imported image will be in black and white in SU but you'll see color on the ground again in GE. YOu can save the location from GE as a KMZ file that can be sent to whomever you want and they can open it in GE.

aaronb.jpg