ok whats the trick?

larry merlau

to making outside corner that appears to be full size, i used two 2"styles cut the 45's lengthwize, here's the main question, how do you attempt at clamping the two pieces together? they seem to slide just abit to much and the flats arent quite where they usually are in normal glue up i didnt want to cheat and use any nails,, but after my first attemp i did pick up the pinner. but i didnt load it.. so if it isnt top secret i sure could use some advice:huh:

Lots O caulk!

Seriously, I am assuming you are talking about crown mouldng? I have usually tried compensating for the alignment issue with the cut as best as possible and pin it with a brad. I know some use biscuits in the joint. Outside that, I probably can't help much so I'll be waiting to see what the others recommend.

Spline

If I read you right. I've used biskits too, but recommend the spline because its easier for me to spell :D

If ya want to get real tricky, cut both sides out of the same board, with the mitered edges on either side of the rip cut. The grain wraps around the corner and looks really good. The face grain on two sides at 90 degrees is a tip off to the woodworker, but it will really fool everyone else.

Oh yeah, clamps, lots of clamps, like about 5 more than you have available when you apply the
glue :doh:

John

If I read you right. I've used biskits too, but recommend the spline because its easier for me to spell :D

If ya want to get real tricky, cut both sides out of the same board, with the mitered edges on either side of the rip cut. The grain wraps around the corner and looks really good. The face grain on two sides at 90 degrees is a tip off to the woodworker, but it will really fool everyone else.

Oh yeah, clamps, lots of clamps, like about 5 more than you have available when you apply the
glue :doh:

John

yeah you read me right john, i thought about biscuts but hesitated thinkun i could do it with a band it worked by hand but that glue seemed to make things alot greasyer. hadnt given the spline a thought culda dun that pretty easily. got 2 more to do and the spline may be my ticket.. did do the wrap affect by accident:rolleyes: thanks fer the insight guys

Splines or biscuits. Done both but prefer splines. Here is a post I recently made with splines. Just make sure the spline is slighlty smaller than the slot. DAMHIKT!

post2.jpg

Splines or biscuits. Done both but prefer splines. Here is a post I recently made with splines. Just make sure the spline is slighlty smaller than the slot. DAMHIKT!

Jeff, what did you use to make the slots for the splines, I have seen splines on some bed post once but they were not that thick, they looked like a single pass on the table saw. Just wondering how you did yours.

Consider tape. layout each section and tape the flats together so that they fold around and make the corner. The tape hinges the edges together when you "Close the book" with glue on the inside. Then clamp till dry.