Kitchen drawer question

I would put the good side out as the inside will be full of "stuff". In reality, I doubt it matters unless the bad side is REALLY bad.

I would put the good side out as the inside will be full of "stuff". In reality, I doubt it matters unless the bad side is REALLY bad.

i have to agree with glen,, if they really bad then perhaps outside but in reality like glenn brought up what do you see when someone opens a drawer? the first hing you notice is the slide type then you look at the dovetail perhaps but you always see the side.. unless your the one gettin in then you see the inside. try to use the best stuff you have availble so its both good.. in drawers baltic birch isnt much more than china birch and much better stuff.

Thanks guys. That's what I ended up doing. :thumb: I did put the nicer surface of the fronts and backs to the inside as those are either to the rear or covered by the drawer fronts. :D

As far as china birch or baltic birch price goes....:D I paid about 40 bucks for 1/2" china birch and 60 bucks for baltic birch, if they could get it.:eek:

I left the decision up to the customers and showed them the difference. They couldn't tell until I pointed the discrepancies out. They said they would rather save some money:thumb:

I wouldn't do that Larry! After posting the first post I walked back to the work table and looked things over again and changed my mind:rofl::rofl: Women don't have mind changing cornered yet!:rofl::rofl: Plus I already had the material cut to size and was just getting ready to run them through the dado head when the question came up:huh:

I wouldn't do that Larry! After posting the first post I walked back to the work table and looked things over again and changed my mind:rofl::rofl: Women don't have mind changing cornered yet!:rofl::rofl: Plus I already had the material cut to size and was just getting ready to run them through the dado head when the question came up:huh:

Just for "Future Reference", Royall, the cabinet shops in my area had to RE-make quite a number of drawers about a year ago that they built with Chinese Birch. It was NOT because of the looks, but because the plys SEPARATED.:eek: I haven't talked to anyone recently about it, so I don't know if the quality improved enough to eliminate that problem, OR if they are even using any of the stuff anymore or not.:dunno: I hope the quality is better now and your's don't have that problem.

Just for "Future Reference", Royall, the cabinet shops in my area had to RE-make quite a number of drawers about a year ago that they built with Chinese Birch. It was NOT because of the looks, but because the plys SEPARATED.:eek: I haven't talked to anyone recently about it, so I don't know if the quality improved enough to eliminate that problem, OR if they are even using any of the stuff anymore or not.:dunno: I hope the quality is better now and your's don't have that problem.

Wow:eek: Thanks for the heads up Norman, hadn't heard anything like that here. Hope it was an isolated bad or "badder" batch of ply. I built all the cabinets in my new home two years ago now with the same material and so far I haven't had any problems:thumb:

i can attest to the fact that the plys on china birch isnt near as good as baltic royal,, you can see glue show threw on the china birch with clear finish sometimes.. and i have had bubbles in it too like what norman was mentioning..

Thanks for the reply Larry, I was really upset today when I had to make a zero clearance plate for the dado stack and found the edge of the new plate high on one side. :(I started to move the adjusting screws in to compensate when I notice there was a big bulge in the plies of the plate. :eek: Took the plate to the sander and got it flat but it just set my jaws that the quality control is so poor. They should keep the rejects in China.:doh::thumb: I won't use this stuff again except in shop cabinets. Just make too much extra work to make things right.