Clamps or table top space, which do you run out of first?

allen levine

It would be nice to have the space to set up 5 sheets of plywood on saw horses to hold all my clamping at once when I do something.
Ofcourse, I dont have enough clamps to do all those glueups at once.
I seem to be at a two tabletop limit glueup with the clamps I have.

How many glueups can everyone else do in their HOME shops?

Is there some reason your glue ups have to lay flat? I used to glue up face frames & then set the pipe clamps handle down & then lean against what ever, I don't have any wall space so what ever will have to do. Now I use pocket screws for most of my face frames.

If you could afford the space for 5 sheets of plywood on horses, plus all of the machinery of your shop, you probably could afford the clamps.:D

I often run out of both. However, I try to schedule glue ups so I can do one, then stand it up someplace, while I get the next one ready. If there's enough clamps, then I might have two 'cooking' at once. I usually try to get them off my table as soon as they've been clamped up for about 15 min because, like you, table top is at a premium in my shop.

I have had as many as 8 pieces in clamps just cooking away at once. Bessey clamps really make standing 'em up on end REALLY easy because of that nice flat foot. Even better if the clamps are alternating. I rarely get above 4, though.

If I had to lay them flat, then I'd work out a stacking rig to go up instead of out.

My workbench it about 30"x90", outfeed is about 24"x60" TS/RT is about 27"x80", rolling worktable is about 35"x50" I have never used all that but could if I didn't want to do anything while I watched glue dry ;-) I usually leave the tool tops free so I can work on small parts or clean and wax while the glue dries.

i too clamp and set aside on the floor and go for the next one,, you can set alot of them on the floor allen and still have table surface to work on.. the other thng is on some parts you can strip them out after a hour or so and start over with the clamps.you can stor your clamps in a small area and the bench surface needs to be substantial for comfortable use.

I missed the "Local pick up" part - sorry.
maybe Larry can pick them up and drop them off at Allen's place on his next tour!:D

i tell ya what if one of us got them i would go get them for sure what deal.. but i could use osme of them as well not many but some.. think about it folks i got to go for bit but will be back later tonght..

IF I stood it up somewhere, Id end up tripping over it.

I tried a few local guys who were selling their shops, professional shops, and they were looking for maybe 20% off retail for the entire collection of clamps.
There were just so many that I really didnt think I need, and laying out over 600 bucks for the collections didnt make sense.
I keep looking.

I buy a little at a time. I have the dust collector sitting in my den in the box still, where I had the table set up to let the poly dry, so Im really pressed for space. If I assemble the dust collector, I can put my table setup back and move the finishing process back out of the garage and make more space for clamping and glue ups.....wow, what a cycle.:dunno:

the garage I believe is 16x20.

On nights like tonight, I have to put everything away so I can park the car inside.(possilbly 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow)

If the entire space was dedicated for woodworking, It would be a bit easier.

Im currently trying to figure out how to build and mount a clamp rack that will be like a gate, so it can be swung flat against cabinets when not needed.(dont remember pics? )

right side and left side Tiki 184 (Medium) (Medium).jpgTiki 185 (Medium).jpg

sometimes I just come across a funny picture. the title of this one is "Party Favors"Tiki 325 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
another plug for those clamps,, thery arent very far away from me only a hour or so,, so if anyone one wants them i will go get them and set up shipping to where ever,, i got expeiernce in shipping this year:) so take alook and like i said earlier i can help on the cost cause i would take some of them myslef but i dont need all of them at all...