More Questions: Router/Jointer

Bruce Niceley

Will try to keep these Brief

* Will the SKIL-1825 possibly use the same 3/Hole pattern as an older Craftsman Router?

I am Pre-drilled into a new Phelonic Insert and would like to have both 1/4 + 1/2 Collets, and additional power

* Any suggestions on learning to properly use a new Router table? Need to learn best way to set-up fence, calculate Depth of Cut/Height adjustments, etc.

Any specific Books recommended

Are the 6" Bench-top Jointers worth owning, or can you do as well with the Router for this?

Thamks,

Bruce N.

Bruce, where are you geographically? If you're close by I could give you a hands-on show and tell that might speed up your learning curve. Not that I'm an expert but, I learn a lot faster if someone shows me how to do something and then I actually do it. I'm in SoCal about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. Just an offer.

Re-Classed Post: Router/Jointer Questions

Will try to keep these Brief* Will the SKIL-1825 possibly use the same 3/Hole pattern as an older Craftsman Router?I am Pre-drilled into a new Phelonic Insert and would like to have both 1/4 + 1/2 Collets, and additional power* Any suggestions on learning to properly use a new Router table? Need to learn best way to set-up fence, calculate Depth of Cut/Height adjustments, etc. Any specific Books recommendedAre the 6" Bench-top Jointers worth owning, or can you do as well with the Router for this?

Note- I mistakenly posted this in the "Classified" area first

Thanks,Bruce N.

Bruce, I know nothing about the Skil and Craftsman routers, so I'm no help on that question. As far as learning to use a router table, I've seen this book recommended by others in the past:

Bill Hylton's Ultimate Guide to the Router Table

And no discussion on router education is complete without a reference to this book, by Carol Reed (one of our members here), who was "The Router Lady" in a previous life.

Router Joinery Workshop

It's not specific to router tables, but it covers a lot of useful ground.

Instead if changing routers, just mount the half inch router and use a quarter inch adapter for your smaller bits. Unless of course you are Norm Abrums who changes router, not bits.
Mike

Hi Bruce.

I'm not expert at all with routers but I have a book called " Cutting edge router tips & tricks" by Jim Stack (Popular woodworking Books) where apart from explaining how to use a router there are several projects of increasing difficulty plus some easy jigs to make.

I found it very useful and worth having.

Hey Bruce, I merged the posts in your original thread (in the Classified section) into this one. That way all the replies are in the same place for you. :thumb: