Fedex Home was just here

Ned Bulken

chuck3.jpg

I got my replacement Midi Chuck today!:D
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USNY1434

Unfortunately, It is a brisk 3* out so I'm not going to be dredging out the lathe and trying it out today. :(

Last edited:
Wonder if min spirits will remove it?

That's what I usually use. Should do the job just fine ... but if you plan to remove the jaws and clean out all the nooks and crannies, I can see where a spray would do a better job than a "damp" rag or paper towel. There's always Q-tips, but they tend to get snagged on threads 'n' things.

Congrats on the chuck ned.
I don't know bout you guys and the its to cold out in the shop to work today.
I just got home from putting down 300 square feet of metal roofing and it is now a balmy 19 degrees above 0:thumb:

mmm I bet you were moving around a bit more than I would be in the shop...

actually I suspect that my kero heater might be a tad hard to start up at such a low temp. it's up near 10* now, so I might be tempted to go out there in an hour or 6
screwchuck.jpg

and incidentally, on woodturner's it was pointed out to me that this was the proper way to mount the screwchuck, the first way pictured above would let it slip too easily.

Nice chuck Ned. I am not a fan of "tommy bars" but they work and were on my very first woodturning chuck. What size screws hold your jaws Ned? They look larger diameter on the head anfd the thread than mine.

Chuck, These chucks (whew, lots of chucks here) :rofl: use the countersinks themselves to align the jaws, not the shanks of the screws. it's a more positive setup and will resist wear much longer and tend to stay tighter longer too. There isn't much you can do if a screw hole gets worn and a bit loose on a flat seat screw, but with countersuk heads you just tighten a little more and any wear is compensated for.

Aloha, Tony

Nice chuck Ned. I am not a fan of "tommy bars" but they work and were on my very first woodturning chuck. What size screws hold your jaws Ned? They look larger diameter on the head anfd the thread than mine.

Chuck, These chucks (whew, lots of chucks here) :rofl: use the countersinks themselves to align the jaws, not the shanks of the screws. it's a more positive setup and will resist wear much longer and tend to stay tighter longer too. There isn't much you can do if a screw hole gets worn and a bit loose on a flat seat screw, but with countersuk heads you just tighten a little more and any wear is compensated for.

Aloha, Tony

Tony,
1" and 8 TPI. I'd rather have a fancier unit too, but this will get me in the game until I can afford a larger chuck, and we all have to start somewhere, right?

Of course the instructions are long gone.

You can download the instruction/Manual here:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Midi/Downloads/Midi Chuck Manual Sheet_Nov07.pdf
I suggest you save a copy in your computer. A lot of their files randomly disappear.
The smaller screw may be #11 & #12 in the parts diagram. It is used to adjust the tightness of the scroll ring.
This tommy bar chuck is faster acting than the keyed chuck. A half turn of the tommy bar would adjust the jaws from max to min and vice versa.

Ned,
Glad you figured out the woodworm screw. The bottom of the screw head must be behind the back of the jaws to prevent the screw from coming out of the chuck. The pre-drill hole must be deep enough to prevent stripping of the threads. Don't turn in reverse (unless you have a left hand screw). Otherwise the screw chuck is self-tightening.

WoodwormScrewusage002.jpg

Just a note:

I used the woodworm screw for turning small tea-light candle holders:

After finishing my piece I knocked a wooden dowel into the hole and, after using a small punch for the center of the dowel drilled for the candle using a Forster bit.