A newbie

I want to thank the forum for allowing me to participate. I came across the forum before Xmas and have loosly followed, and I believe I should partipate. I first did woodwork in JHS shop; as I am sure many of you did. I remember the shop teacher and him going off to WWII. It is hard to believe we were ever so young.
I have one question for today. Does any one know how to glue a strip of UHD polyethylene to wood. I want to use it as slide strips in drawers.

Thank you for letting me into your world....................Ray Gerdes

Last edited:
Welcome to the family, Raymond.
I have long believed that UHD and UHMW poly materials were simply glue-proof. But, someone, not long ago, said that there are glues just for those materials. They didn't say which glues or where to get them. If you find out, or someone who knows posts the info, it would be very useful to a lot of us.
BTW, Woodcraft sells strips of UHMW that are sticky on one side, so they know, or their source knows.

Welcome aboard Ray. Sorry I cant help you with gluing that stuff but you might look for a Plastic Supply Co in your area and they should be able to help you. Look for something like Regal Plastic or some place that wholesales polycarbonate (Plexiglas and Lexan) and such.
Jay

Welcome to the family Ray , sorry I can't be of much help :dunno:. But I'm sure that some will be able to help you ............Marshall.......

The only thing that I can figure you might be able to do is find some strips that are a little bit thicker and counter sink some holes and screw them down. If you could find som of the plastic Tractor Trailer mud flaps they are about 1/4" thick and cut into strips would work nicely. I know they are slick enough because I fell enough times stepping on them.

Welcome to the Family Ray! :wave:

Does it have to be strips?

I think you can get that UHMW stuff in little button like things, with one end that would go in a hole you drill :huh: :dunno:

I know they have the sticky sided tape stuff for sale too.

Good luck!

Welcome to the clubhouse, Raymond. :wave:

The only thing that I can figure you might be able to do is find some strips that are a little bit thicker and counter sink some holes and screw them down.

I was thinking the same thing. :dunno:
I've done that in the past. I've also drilled and tapped threads into the plastic to hold it from the other side. Here's a shot of a t-shaped rail I put on a vertical sled I made a few years back. The Rail is UHDP cut to fit in a t-track; the washers are there as a spacer. They are held in place with screws countersunk into the plywood on the other side. You can also see some of the plastic "slick tape" I used on the sled...

VertSled8_600_LR.jpg

Here's the complete "t-rail"...

VertSled4_600_LR.jpg

And while I'm posting pics, a shot of how it mates with the auxiliary fence...

VertSled6_600_LR.jpg

Try super glue (any cyanoacrylate based adhesive) on a pair of scraps? If this does work, you might also try Zip Kicker to accelerate the "curing" time.

Getting either the glue or the zip kicker onto the wood will most likely scrag any sort of finish attempts after, so be careful. On second thought, this is woodworking, not little space marine miniatures, we have clamps - maybe don't bother with the zip kicker at all.

The cyanoacrylate adhesive may partially dissolve the plastic - pay attention to how things work during your scrap attempt. If the plastic does melt a little but still adheres, no biggie if it isn't going to be visible.

For a drawer run like your are discussing, could you mount the run at least into a dado in the bottom of the drawer if not a shallow dovetail? I'd be concerned that just glue might not hold up to lateral forces when the drawer is bumped into as a finished product. Bad enough to smack you head or smash your privates walking into an open drawer - don't want to also have broken the drawer.

Last edited:
welcome ray ,

this is just a guess , but have you tried gorilla glue ? the only reason i say that is because of the bottle . it says about glueing dissimilar materials :huh:

i will look/ask around and see what i can come up with , stay tuned ...........