I'm new to using avatars and until today was just using avatars that I found on the web. I wanted to make one but didn't know how. I did a Google search and found a site that will re-size your photo to the size you want. Avatars on FWW have a max. size of 180. After you have created your avatar, be sure to right click on the avatar and click "save as" to you computer. This maybe old hat to a lot of you but for those that haven't here is the link to the site I found.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Hay Vaughn, if this is covered somewhere else, you can delete this post:thumb:

FW apparently does not reject oversized photos posted as avatars. The one I am currently using, I must have scanned at very high resolution. The original picture is only about 2"X3" but, when posted, it overflowed the monitor by about 2x or more. I had to squish it way back using PhotoShop Elements.

Thanks, Kerry. You beat me to it. (Bart, as a general rule I avoid getting any software from a website that uses "z" instead of "s" in its name. It's a red flag to me.) ;)

Royall, no need to delete this thread...it's info that bears repeating. :thumb:

FW apparently does not reject oversized photos posted as avatars. The one I am currently using, I must have scanned at very high resolution. The original picture is only about 2"X3" but, when posted, it overflowed the monitor by about 2x or more. I had to squish it way back using PhotoShop Elements.
There are limits set on avatar sizes if they are uploaded to the FW site. The maximum size of an uploaded custom image is 180 by 180 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller). If you link to an offsite picture that's hosted elsewhere, I don't think there's a limit.

There are limits set on avatar sizes if they are uploaded to the FW site. The maximum size of an uploaded custom image is 180 by 180 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller). If you link to an offsite picture that's hosted elsewhere, I don't think there's a limit.

Vaughn, it was all in my own computer.
Do you want me to e-mail my original scan to you as a test?

The link that I posted is good if you don't want to download and install a strange program to your computer. :D The re-sizing is done on the web site and you just download the finished avatar.:thumb: I've got too many seldom used programs in the old box already to add more.:eek:

By the way.... the avatar that is showing now is what a banana blossom looks like. There are many petals on the flower and as each opens there is another hand of little bananas

Last edited:
I'm with you Tony, PIXresizer works well, and it's free. I have access to about all of the applications available to macs do to my day job, but PIXresizer does the job easily for posting pics here.

Tom