My Small Brass Hammer courtesy of Mike Henderson

Rob Keeble

Since seeing Mikes post on his Small Brass hammer and the tutorial, I just had to build this one. Sorry Chuck it superceded the snowman. I have had enough snow for one year already. Anyway Friday I finally found a guy that had the brass round stock and at a reasonable price given our dollar. So I bought a foot and today after taking pictures of the shop and my tools got stuck into making one.

Here is my work in progress Mike. I plan on making a few and giving one to my friend that welded my Dust Collector stand up for me. Small price to pay for all his work.IMG_2611.jpg
Still have to make provision for the wedge to fix the head to the handle.
Just a small tip I would add to Mikes tutorial, I used a rectangular piece of ash for my handle and during turning left the flat faces on at the bottom that way I did not have to flatten the round handle after turning. Great project when you want to do something quick.

Thanks Mike, by the way I was tempted to cut the brass with my chop saw but was too chicken. I settled for using a hacksaw and did it on the lathe at slow speed to keep the end square cut. Can you really cut brass with a chop saw blade?

If you turn off center you can make the flat sides on each side of the handle also. Neat brass hammer by the way. You could have killed two birds with one stone, you could have turned a snowman into the handle of that there brass hammer and maybe won the whole herd of snowpeople!!!!!!!:rolleyes::p:rofl::dunno::dunno::eek::doh:

Very neat hammer Rob, great job.

Kari Hultman (The Village Carpenter) did a very nice tutorial on a Small Wood Mallet. While, in this case, her mallet has a wood head, she reminds us to drill a small relief at the bottom of the wedge slot (kerf) so the handle doesn't split.
Kerf.jpg

If you turn off center you can make the flat sides on each side of the handle also. Neat brass hammer by the way. You could have killed two birds with one stone, you could have turned a snowman into the handle of that there brass hammer and maybe won the whole herd of snowpeople!!!!!!!:rolleyes::p:rofl::dunno::dunno::eek::doh:
Jonathan, well I might just enter that snowman competition after all. To my surprize last night I discovered my son has no hockey today. That will leave me a chance to get back out to the shop.