Big kid Crackerjack

Doug Shepard

In Memorium
I just cut the top off some boxes
SECase17b.jpg

and there was a prize in every box:D
SECase18.jpg

I started these straight edge cases before the holidays and pulled some boards from the No-Kill Wood Shelter. The long one is a piece of macacauba and the short one leftover purpleheart from my bench build. After jointing/planing, both were a hair shy of my target thickness. Since it twas the season I decked the walls with boughs of holly (fa la la la la well la dee da). Then replaned that and routed out the center and lined it with 1/4" self-stick wool felt.
SECase06b.jpg

Drillied 4 holes for 1/8" dowels as alignment pins for gluing the halves together. Then decided I sort of liked the look of that and put more 1/8" dowels in after glue-up. Then hand planed everything, rounded over the edges and stuck 3 coats of shellac on them.

Still need to square up the cap ends a skosh, put some 1/8" rare earth rod magnets in the cap and case, and attach a leather strap to keep the cap tethered to the case.

Great idea. I've still got my 38" LV aluminum straight edge in the tube it came in. I like the box approach much better.

Errrrr

My LV aluminum straight edge is hanging on a *gasp* 2" common nail on the end of my pegboard wall. It never leaves my shop, so I never thought about making a case for it.

When I used to install built-in cabinets we carried a Stabila 6ft level to the job site. The boss asked one of the new guys in the shop to build a box for it. He went a little bit over the top and made a long skinny case in birch ply, brass hinges, latch and carrying handle. Then he rounded all the edges and applied a couple of coats of lacquer. It was a great case, but we took a lot of grief from the other trades when we showed up toting this long shiny "suitcase".
"Hey, did you bring your pool cues?" is one of the milder ones I remember.

But, precision equipment needs protection and you're wise to look after your investment. Good looking cases.

I cant say I've treated my 40" Alum one with much respect either. It's my beater straightedge:( It normally resides lying on top of my Accufence between the UHMW faces. Over the years it's gotten nicked, dropped, one whole end covered with a fine patina of spray adhesive, yada, yada. But I never had to worry about rust. The steel ones needed some pampering though. All I had for the 18" Starrett was the factory paper sleeve and the LV one was in the shipping tube. Both were not doing well corrosion-wise so the cases were born. The thinking is that over time the wool felt will absorb a bit of whatever oil I wipe them down with so just sliding them home will keep them well protected.